Monthly Current Affairs – August 2019
News: Most Important
1. SBI, Shanghai becomes 1st Indian bank to link up with China National Advance Payment System
State Bank of India’s Shanghai branch is connected to China’s National Advance Payment System (CNAPS) & became the first Indian Bank to operationalize it. The CNAPS is launched to boost international use of the Chinese currency Yuan.
2. RBI slaps ₹1.5-cr penalty on Bank of India
RBI has slapped a penalty of ₹ 1.5 Crore on Bank of India for non-compliance with RBI’s direction on frauds’ in Rotomac Group companies. The penalty is required to be paid within 14 days of receipt of RBI’s order.
3. Karnataka Bank ties up with fintech firm to offer MFs
Karnataka Bank has tied up with fintech company Finwizard Technology to offer wealth management products and services through the bank’s ‘KBL Mobile Plus’ app. The tie-up allows the bank customers to invest in any mutual
4. NHB infuses Rs 10,000 crore to increase fund flow in the housing sector: Finance Ministry
National Housing Bank infused an additional Rs 10,000 crore in NBFCs with a view to improving the flow of funds for housing loan. Govt approved the Reserve Bank of India norms for credit guarantee to the non-banking financial institutions (NBFCs).
5. RBI cuts repo rate by 35 bps to 5.40%
Based on an assessment of the current and evolving macroeconomic situation, the MPC has reduced the policy repo rate under the LAF by 35 bps from 5.75% to 5.40% with immediate effect. Reverse repo rate – 5.15%, MSF rate & Bank Rate to 5.65%.
6. Mastercard launches identity check express to secure online transactions
Mastercard launched the Identity Check Express, a next-generation, mobile-first authentication solution that aims to redefine the e-commerce journey for Indian consumers. It will help eliminate needless friction & enhance the security of online transactions.
7. RBI allows Bank of China to offer regular banking services in India
RBI has allowed Bank of China to offer regular banking services in the country. All commercial banks are in the Second Schedule. Banks falling under this schedule must adhere to the norms of the RBI. Jana SFB has been included in the Second Schedule.
8. RBI to set up payment registry for monitoring frauds
RBI has proposed to set up a central payment fraud registry, which will monitor digital payment frauds in real-time. The move is expected to boost customer confidence in the payment systems.
9. DBS Bank India ties up with Social Alpha to incubate social entrepreneurs
DBS Bank India has tied up with technology business incubator Social Alpha to mentor enterprises that focus on sectors such as inclusion, healthcare, and environment. DBS Bank will also give an annual programme grant of ₹1 crore.
10. RBL Bank launches India’s first health-focused credit card
RBL Bank and digital healthcare platform Practo partnered to launch an industry first co-branded health credit card. This credit card is powered by Mastercard and is available on both Practo and RBL mobile apps and websites.
11. Yes Bank launches QIP to raise $285 million
Yes Bank has embarked on a plan to generate $285 million (Rs 2,000 crore) by selling shares through a qualified institutional placement (QIP) . The bank’s core Tier I capital ratio declined to 8 percent in June 2019.
12. RBI ups cap on bank credit to NBFCs
RBI has increased the bank credit to NBFCs for on-lending to agriculture, MSEs & HFCs under priority sector lending up to a limit of 5% of bank’s total PSL on an ongoing basis. The limit for (term lending) Agriculture – ₹10 L, MSE – ₹20 L, HFCs – ₹20 L.
13. Standard Chartered partners with SAP Ariba for financial supply chain solutions
Standard Chartered Bank and SAP Ariba announced a strategic collaboration to make the Bank’s financial supply chain solutions easily accessible to businesses in the Asia Pacific region through Ariba Network.
14. Bandhan Bank launches a co-branded credit card with Standard Chartered
Bandhan Bank launched a co-branded credit card with Standard Chartered to offer a complete suite of services to customers.
Standard Chartered bank will take the credit risk, Bandhan Bank will be responsible for identifying & issuing cards to its customers.
15. Banks to get an upfront capital infusion of ₹ 70000 crores from the government
Government has decided to inject ₹ 70000 crores budgeted for the recapitalization of public sector banks in the current financial year, on an immediate basis. The move will release liquidity to the tune of ₹ 5 lakh crore into the banking system for lending.
16. Union Bank links loans to the repo rate
Union Bank of India has introduced the repo-linked lending rate for new home loan & vehicle loan borrowers to provide better interest rate transmission to customers. Home loans of ₹30 L to
₹75 L will be available at an interest rate of 8.25% for the borrower.
17. BoB raises ₹2,150 cr via bond issue
Bank of Baroda approved raising funds aggregating to ₹2,150 crore. The committee approved the issuance of Basel III-Compliant Additional Tier I bonds for an aggregate issue size not exceeding
₹1,650 crore. This issuance will comprise a base issue size of
₹500 crores, and a greenshoe option to retain oversubscription up to ₹1,150 crore.
18. NHB to provide Rs 20,000 crore additional liquidity support to housing finance companies
National Housing Bank will provide additional liquidity support of Rs 20,000 crore to housing finance companies to boost credit support for the purchase of houses. It will increase the total liquidity support to Rs 30,000 crore.
19. RBI to transfer Rs 1.76 lakh cr as dividend
RBI has decided to transfer 1.76 lakh crore rupees as dividend & surplus reserve to the govt. It includes over Rs 1,23000 cr of surplus for the year 2018-19 & 52,637 crore rupees of excess provisions identified as per revised Economic Capital Framework. The move is based on the recommendation of the Bimal Jalan panel.
20. IDBI Bank launches repo-linked home, auto loans
LIC-owned IDBI is offering home loans for up to ₹75 lakh with a tenor of up to 35 years at an interest rate of 8.30% p.a. It has also introduced bulk deposits linked to the repo rate in select buckets of home and auto loan products.
21. SBI Raises Up To Rs 3,105 Crore By Issuing Basel-III- Compliant Bonds
SBI accorded approval to allot 31,048 non-convertible, taxable, perpetual, subordinated, unsecured Basel-III-compliant bonds for inclusion in the bank’s additional tier-I capital. Indian banking system implementing Basel-III standards in phases since April 1, 2013.
22. NPCI revises merchant discount rates for BHIM UPI transactions
NPCI has rationalized merchant discount rates for BHIM UPI transactions to promote digital payments. As per the latest notification, the Merchant discount rates (MDR) has been revised to 0.30% with a maximum cap of ₹100 per transaction.
23. ADB signs pact to invest $23 million in NCD of GRIL
Asian Development Bank (ADB) has signed an agreement to invest $23 million in non-convertible debentures being issued by GR Infraprojects Limited (GRIL) to help the company rapidly scale up its construction of roads and highways in India.
24. NEFT to function round-the-clock from December: RBI
RBI announced plans for the round-the-clock availability of the National Electronic Funds Transfer system from Dec’19. At present, NEFT is available to customers for retail payments between 8 am & 7 pm on all working days of the week, except bank
1. RBI slaps penalties on 9 banks over delay in reporting of frauds
Reserve Bank has slapped penalties on nine commercial banks, including SBI, Punjab National Bank & Bank of Baroda, for a host of violations, including a delay on the reporting of fraud in the account of Kingfisher Airlines in case of two lenders.
2. Federal Bank launches instant Demat account opening facility
Federal Bank has launched a digital facility for instant online opening of Demat accounts for its customers. The bank customers can open Demat accounts in a matter of a minute by logging into the Internet banking portal FedNet.
3. Jana Small Finance Bank gets Scheduled Bank status
Jana Small Finance Bank Ltd, which commenced banking operations in March 2018, has got the status of a Scheduled Bank. It has been put in the list of the banks included in the second schedule of RBI Act
4. RBI panel moots extended hours for strong forex market
Reserve Bank of India panel headed by Usha Thorat has recommended that onshore market hours may be suitably extended to match the flexibility provided by the offshore market. This is aimed at incentivizing non-residents to hedge in the onshore
5. PNB Housing raises $75 million in ECB from Sumitomo Mitsui Bank
PNB Housing Finance (PNBHFL) has raised $75 million or Rs 522 crore external commercial borrowing (ECB) from Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation (SMBC), Singapore. The ECB is under the RBI’s automatic route of approval.
6. Government removes Debenture Reserve norm for housing finance companies, NBFCs
Corporate affairs ministry removed the requirement for a DRR of 25% of the value of outstanding debentures issued by listed companies, NBFCs & HFCs. In the case of unlisted companies, the Debenture Redemption Reserve (DRR) requirement has been reduced to 10%.
7. PSU banks to introduce home, auto loans on ‘PSB Loans in 59 Minutes’ portal
PSBs are gearing up to introduce retail products, including housing and auto loans, on the ‘psbloansin59minutes’ portal with a view to expanding their retail loan business. Currently, the portal gives loans up to ₹ 1 Cr to MSMEs in just 59 mins/less than 1 hr.
8. RBI allows e-mandates on cards for recurring transactions
RBI permitted processing of e-mandate on credit & debit cards for recurring transactions (merchant payments) with a cap of Rs 2,000. It is applicable for transactions performed using all types of cards – debit, credit & Prepaid Payment Instruments (PPIs), including wallets.
9. BookMyForex, YES Bank tie-up for a foreign exchange travel card
BookMyForex.com, a marketplace for foreign exchange & remittances, partnered with YES Bank to launch a co-branded multi-currency forex travel card for Indian overseas travelers. It will offer zero margin or exact inter-bank rates 24×7 on forex card sales.
|Policy/Exchange rate & Reserve ratio||Percentage|
|Reverse Repo rate||5.15%|
|Marginal Standing Facility (MSF) rate||5.65%|
|Cash Reserve Ratio (CRR)||4 %|
|Statutory Liquidity Ratio (SLR)||18.75 %|
News: Most Important
1. Indian Bank signs agreement with Cholamandalam MS General Insurance
Indian Bank signed a corporate agency agreement with Cholamandalam MS General Insurance Company for the distribution of its insurance products to bank customers. Indian Bank has 2,872 branches, across the country.
2. HDFC Life Insurance included in MSCI index
Global provider of capital market indices, Morgan Stanley Capital International (MSCI), has included HDFC Life Insurance Company to its Global Standard Index. However, it excluded Union Bank from its India Smallcap Index.
3. OYO partners Acko General Insurance to launch complimentary insurance cover for guests
OYO has partnered ACKO General Insurance to launch insurance cover for guests at the booking price for its properties. The guests will get insurance against accidental death, baggage loss & accidental medical expenses for the entire duration of their stay.
4. Aditya Birla Health Insurance(ABHI) & Axis Bank ink bancassurance pact
Aditya Birla Health Insurance has entered into a bancassurance partnership with Axis Bank. Through this partnership, ABHI will offer health insurance solutions to the Axis bank’s customers across its 4,094 branches and digital channels.
5. Indian Bank, Tata AIG General Insurance tie up
Indian Bank has joined hands with Tata AIG General Insurance to offer the latter’s diverse range of general insurance policies benefiting the bank’s customers by way of protection, wealth creation and savings.
6. LIC launches Jeevan Amar protection plan
LIC launched a new term-insurance plan called Jeevan Amar. It is a non-linked, without profit, pure protection plan, and is available for sale offline. It offers the flexibility to choose from two death benefit options. Minimum sum assured under the plan is ₹25 L with no max. limit.
7.Acko partners with ZestMoney to offer credit insurance
Acko General Insurance partnered with ZestMoney, a consumer lending fintech, to offer credit insurance. It will help ZestMoney customers cover their monthly EMI payments during times of crisis.
1. Moody’s downgrades long-term rating of Indiabulls Housing Finance
Moody’s Investors Service has downgraded Indiabulls Housing Finance’s (IBH) long-term corporate family rating to ‘Ba2’ from ‘Ba1’ in the backdrop of renewed pressure on the cost and availability of funds for some finance companies in India.
2. EPFO board hires HSBC AMC, UTI AMC and SBI Mutual Fund, fund managers
Employees’ Provident Fund Organisation (EPFO) appointed three asset management companies, HSBC AMC, UTI AMC and SBI Mutual Fund, as its fund managers for three years and reiterated its commitment to pay an interest rate of 8.65% for 2018-19.
3. Bharti AXA Life ties up with Akshaya Patra to support mid- day meal programme
Bharti AXA Life Insurance partnered with Akshaya Patra Foundation to support and contribute to the mid-day meal programme for government school children. Akshaya Patra is running a mid-day meal programme to mark its 13th foundation day.
4. Digit Insurance, KVB tie-up for bancassurance
Digit Insurance has entered into a bancassurance tie-up with Karur Vysya Bank. It will help Digit Insurance to reach out to the SMEs and cover business interruption and loss with a fixed benefit beyond the regular coverage available in the market.
News: Most Important
1. India’s GDP growth slows to 5% in April-June 2019
The Central Statistics Office (CSO) released the GDP numbers for April-June quarter, which showed India’s GDP expanded 5% in the quarter through June, the slowest pace in six and half years. Indian economy grew 5 percent year-on-year in 1st quarter of FY2020.
- NCAER expects India’s GDP to grow at 6.2% in FY20 NCAER forecasted India’s GDP growth is likely to be 2% during the current fiscal, down from 6.8% in 2018-19, on account of flat
growth in agriculture sector & Gross Value Added at basic prices at 6% for 2019-20 on a year-on-year (y-o-y) basis.
- India’s GDP to grow at 6% in April-June: FICCI survey India’s economy will grow at a median rate of 6% during the first quarter of the current financial year ended 30 June, as per FICCI report. It pegged the annual median GDP growth forecast for 2019- 20 at 6.9% (6.7% and 2%).
- Moody’s cuts India GDP growth forecast to 6.2% for 2019 Moody’s Investors Service cut India’s GDP growth forecast for 2019 calendar year to 2% from the previous estimation of 6.8%. For 2020 calendar year, it reduced the estimate by a similar measure to 6.7%.
5. CRISIL cuts India’s GDP growth to 6.9 per cent
CRISIL has cut its estimate of India’s GDP growth by 20 basis points to 6.9% for FY 2019-20, following a triangulation of downside risks. The risks include weak monsoon, slowing global growth & sluggish high-frequency data for the first quarter.
6. Retail inflation eases marginally to 3.15% in July
As per the data released by the Central Statistics Office, Retail inflation eased marginally in July to 3.15% over the previous month despite costlier food items. The retail inflation based on Consumer Price Index was 3.18% in June & 4.17% in July 2018.
7. Defense Production Target Set at Rs. 90,000 Crore For 2019- 20
The department of defense production has set itself a target of producing equipment worth ₹ 90,000 Crore in the financial year 2019-20. Exports worth ₹ 15000 crores have been envisaged from the total quantity of equipment produced.
8. FM Nirmala Sitharaman withdraws tax surcharge on FPIs, domestic investors
Nirmala Sitharaman announced the abolition of a tax surcharge on foreign portfolio investors & domestic investors. It will be applicable for this fiscal year. Approximate revenue implication for the FPIs & domestic investors will be around ₹ 1400 Cr.
- RBI extends deadline for PPIs to become full KYC complaint The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) extended the timeline for the conversion of minimum detail Prepaid Payment Instruments to KYC- compliant PPIs from 18 months to 24 Payments Council of India (PCI) welcomed the move.
2. India’s Fiscal Deficit In July At 77.8% Of 2019-20 Target
According to data released by the Controller General of Accounts,
India’s fiscal deficit in July was at 77.8 percent of its 2019-20 target. The gap between the government’s revenue and expenditure rose to Rs 5.47 lakh crore at the end of July.
3. Bimal Jalan panel recommends review of economic capital framework every five years
The Bimal Jalan panel of the Reserve Bank has recommended that the revised economic capital framework will be reviewed every five years. The RBI, Under the revised framework, decided to transfer 52,637 crore rupees excess provisions to the government.
- India Ratings lowers GDP growth forecast to 6.7% for FY20 India Ratings & Research has revised downward the country’s gross domestic product (GDP) growth to 7% from an earlier estimate of 7.3% for the current fiscal due to weak consumption demand, monsoon and slowdown in manufacturing growth.
|Central Statistics Office (CSO)||5% (GDP in April- June Quarter)|
|Moody’s Investors Service||6.2%|
|India’s Fiscal Deficit||77.8% of 2019-20
|Defense Production Target||₹ 90,000 Crore|
News: Most Important
1. Maharashtra adopts digital fingerprint & iris scanning system to aid police investigations
Maharashtra became the 1st state to adopt a digital fingerprint & iris scanning system to aid police investigations. The Automated Multi- modal Biometric Identification System (AMBIS) adopted by the state Police will soon be replicated across the country. AMBIS replaces Automated Fingerprint Identification System/AFIS.
2. Jharkhand govt launches direct money transfer scheme for small farmers
VP Naidu launched the Jharkhand’s ‘Mukhya Mantri Krishi Ashirwad Yojana’ to transfer money into the bank accounts of farmers. Under the scheme, beneficiaries having farmland of less than 1 acre to 5 acres, will get ₹ 5000 – 25000 in their bank accounts.
3. Udaipur hosts India’s largest education Brainstorm
The third edition of India’s largest education brainstorming event, the ScooNews Global Educators Fest (SGEF) was held on August 09 and 10 in Udaipur- the City of Lakes. The theme for this year’s fest is ‘Education for Sustainability: Moving on from conformity to creativity’.
4. Gujarat CM launched ‘Vhali Dikri Yojna’
Gujarat Chief Minister Vijay Rupani has launched the ‘Vhali Dikri Yojna’. According to scheme, the State Government will pay Rs. 4K to every girl child at the time of admission to Standard 4th, Rs. 6K at the time of taking admission to Standard IX, Rs. 1-lakh at the time of taking admission for higher education at the age of 18 and another Rs. 1-lakh at the time of marriage.
- Bihar gets Centre’s nod for Kosi-Mechi river interlinking The Centre has approved the Rs 4,900 crore project for interlinking of Kosi and Mechi rivers of Bihar. This is the second major river interlinking project in the country to be approved after the Ken-Betwa project in Madhya
6. J-K to host 3-day global investors summit in Srinagar in October
Jammu and Kashmir administration announced a three-day global investors summit to be held in Srinagar from October 12. An MoU was signed by Jammu and Kashmir Trade Promotion Organisation (JKTPO) and CII for organisation and management of the event.
7. Dindigul lock, Kandangi saree get GI tag
Dindigul lock & Kandangi saree were given the GI tag by the Geographical Indications Registry in Chennai. The applications were made by Hardware & Steel Furniture Workers Industrial Co- operative Society Limited & Amarar Rajeev Gandhi Handloom Weavers.
8. Bhubaneswar gets provisional clearance for FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup India 2020
Odisha’s capital city Bhubaneswar became the first venue to get a provisional clearance for FIFA U-17 Women’s World Cup India 2020. Kalinga Stadium in Bhubaneswar will become the first to host a FIFA competition in Odisha.
9. APICOL signs two MoUs to promote agriculture entrepreneurship
Agricultural Promotion and Investment Corporation of Odisha Limited (APICOL) signed an agreement with Professional Assistance for Development Action (PRADAN) a national-level NGO, for implementation of agriculture entrepreneurship promotion scheme in tribal selected blocks of the state.
10. India’s first space museum inaugurated in Hyderabad
India’s first Space Science Museum has opened in Hyderabad. It exhibits scale models of Launch vehicles GSLV Mark III, GSLV Mark II & PSLV, Chandrayaan-1, Mars Orbiter spacecraft, APPLE, Aryabhata, Bhaskara, Rohini RS-1& a model of the ISS. It is a collaborative effort b/w ISRO & BM Birla Science Centre.
11. ADB to provide $200 million for all-weather rural road project in Maharashtra
Asian Development Bank (ADB) approved a USD 200 million loan for improving road infrastructure in 34 districts of Maharashtra to better connect rural areas with markets and services. It will also work with the rural infrastructure agency, the Maharashtra Rural Road Development Association (MRRDA).
1. Maharashtra Grants Infrastructure Status to Hyperloop Project
Maharashtra has granted infrastructure project status for a $10- billion plan to build the world’s first ultra-fast hyperloop project, aiming to link the financial hub of Mumbai with the neighbouring city of Pune. Pods can reach a speed of 750 miles/hr.
2. Haryana govt to roll out Mukhya Mantri Parivar Samridhi Yojana
Haryana announced the roll-out of ‘Mukhya Mantri Parivar Samridhi Yojana’ to provide social securities to families. Under the scheme, ₹ 6000 per year will be given to each eligible family. Eligibility – Families having an annual income less than ₹ 180000.
3. Karnataka government launches programme for student entrepreneurs
Karnataka government has launched a programme called ‘E-Step’ to empower student start-ups towards entrepreneurship. The programme focuses on boot camps, mentoring & training programs which cover various aspects of entrepreneurship.
- National tribal festival ‘Aadi Mahotsav’ begins in Leh-Ladakh Aadi Mahotsav, the national tribal festival, started at Polo Ground in Leh-Ladakh. The 9-day event was inaugurated by the J & K Governor, Satya Pal Malik. The theme of the festival is – A celebration of the spirit of Tribal Craft, Culture and Commerce.
5. Nagaland State Police Dept gets first Laboratory-cum- Training Centre
Nagaland State Police Department got its first Laboratory-cum- Training Centre for Prevention of Cyber Crime against Women and Children. Police personnel will be trained in specific topics relating to cybercrimes.
News: Most Important
1. EPFO to launch e-inspection system to simplify inspection process
Sunil Barthwal, Central Provident Fund Commissioner, EPFO proposed to amend the Act to limit enquiry period to a maximum of 2 years in order to curtail harassment. EPFO is looking at alternative authentication viz-a-viz the employee database.
2. Amazon launches military veteran’s employment programme in India
Amazon India announced the launch of a Military Veterans Employment programme to create opportunities for military veterans/their spouses across Amazon India’s Fulfillment Centres, Sort Centres and Delivery Centres in the country.
3. Boeing delivers 11th C-17 Globemaster to India
American aerospace major Boeing delivered the 11th C-17 Globemaster III transport aircraft to the Indian Air Force, which is a long-haul aircraft that can carry large combat equipment, troops and humanitarian aid across long distances in all weather conditions.
4. Lok Sabha passes amendments to bankruptcy code
LS passed the Bankruptcy Code (Amendment) Bill, 2019 that sets 330-day deadline for rescuing companies in distress to fast track cleaning up of bad assets. It aimed at ensuring timely resolution and at bringing more clarity on various provisions.
5. BIS to set up Pashmina testing centre in Leh
Bureau of Indian Standards would set up a Pashmina testing centre in Leh, in partnership with the lab of Ladakh Autonomous Hill Development Council. ‘Drive for Pashmina’, a Motor bike expedition to create awareness & promote Pashmina was flagged off.
6. Army launched ‘Mission Reach Out’ in Jammu
Army launched “Mission Reach Out” in Jammu to ensure basic necessities & essential services are available in the region post the abrogation of the provisions of Article 370 & reorganisation of J&K.
7. Fin Min plans 16-point ‘KRA’ to push PSBs
Finance Ministry plans to kickstart an elaborate exercise whereby it will closely monitor their achievements on 16 key performance indicators at the branch, region, State & national level. The banks will then be benchmarked against the 18 PSBs’ average.
- Inter-State Council reconstituted with PM Modi as chairman Govt has reconstituted Inter-State Council & Standing Committee of the Inter-State Council. Modi is the Chairman of the Council. CMs of all States & 6 Union Ministers including Rajnath Singh, Amit Shah & Nirmala Sitharaman are the members of the Council.
9. Jal Shakti Minister launches second edition of Swaccha Survakshan Grameen
The centre launched the country’s largest sanitation survey Swachh Survekshan Grameen-2019. The aim of this survey is to engage rural communities in improvement of the sanitation status of their districts and states through an intensive campaign.
- India’s first underwater train to be launched in Kolkata soon Union Railways minister announced that India could soon have its first underwater train in Kolkata. It will get started under the Hubli river. The 16.6-km long Kolkata East West Metro project, to be completed by 2021, will have the county’s first underwater
- CVC sets up panel to examine bank fraud above Rs 50 cr The Central Vigilance Commission has constituted Advisory Board for Banking Frauds headed by former Vigilance Commissioner T M Bhasin to examine bank fraud over Rs 50 crore and recommend action.
12. PM Modi announced to celebrate September as a month of nutrition
PM Modi has announced to celebrate September as a month of nutrition to create awareness to fight malnutrition among children, particularly the girl child. In 2018, Gujarat launched a project, Poshan Abhiyan to eradicate malnutrition among children.
13. Govt Proposes New Guidelines for Safe Use of Nanotechnology in Agriculture
Government has proposed a set of guidelines to regulate & maintain quality and safety of the products & processes. Regulations will oversee the use and spread of hundreds of NAIP & NAP to prevent nanoparticle toxicity in humans & the environment. Dept of biotechnology (Min of Science &Tech) unveiled the Draft.
14. BHEL bags Rs. 2,500 cr orders for emission control systems from NTPC
Bharat Heavy Electricals Limited (BHEL) has bagged two orders of Rs 2500 crore from NTPC for emission control equipment for thermal power plants. The orders involve supply and installation of flue gas desulphurisation (FGD) systems.
15. NTPC Sets Up Subsidiary To Foray Into Commercial Coal Mining
NTPC Ltd. announced incorporation of a subsidiary, NTPC Mining Ltd., paving the way for its foray into commercial coal mining. The state-run power firm also has plans to list the coal subsidiary on the stock exchanges.
16. Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry launches fifth edition of Swachh Survekshan 2020
MoHUA launched the 5th edition of Swachh Survekshan 2020, which will be conducted in Jan 2020. Water PLUS Protocol was launched to provide a guideline for cities &towns to ensure that no untreated wastewater is released into the environment.
17. Govt panel recommends automatic CCI approval for cases under insolvency law
Govt constituted high-level panel has recommended a green channel route for automatic approval of certain combinations. Under the Competition Act, combinations (mergers and acquisitions) beyond a certain threshold require clearance from the CCI.
18. Govt panel recommends corporate tax cut to 25% for all companies
A government panel headed by Akhilesh Ranjan has recommended cutting the corporate tax rate to 25% from 30% for all companies & scrapping surcharges on tax payments. India has one of the highest corporate tax rates in the world with annual sales of up to Rs 400 crore.
19. Tax task force recommends 5 slabs for individuals
Direct Tax Code task force, headed by CBDT member Akilesh Ranjan recommended five tax brackets of 5%, 10%, 20%, 30% and
35%, against the prevailing structure of 5%, 20% and 30%. Tax bracket of 35% for the super-rich is also argued for.
20. NGT panel suggests unique ID numbers for water bodies to prevent encroachments
A committee led by a former high court judge Justice S P Garg has put forward to a bench headed by NGT Chairperson that the water bodies should be secured by constructing boundary walls and relevant entries in the revenue records.
- Feroz Shah Kotla stadium to be renamed after Arun Jaitley Delhi and District Cricket Association decided to rename Delhi’s iconic Feroz Shah Kotla, the second-oldest cricket stadium in India, as Arun Jaitley Stadium in tribute to the former Union finance minister who passed away recently. Jaitley, was president of the DDCA from 1999 to
22. ISRO To build Centre to Protect High-Value Assets from Space Debris
ISRO laid the foundation stone for a centre to monitor & protect high-value space assets from space. It would facilitate the activities foreseen for Space Situational Awareness & Management to increase debris population & operational space assets.
23. NFDC announces Funding for Film Production in various Indian languages
National Film Development Corporation Limited – NFDC announced that it will start accepting applications for funding of feature films under the Central Government scheme, ‘Production of films in various Indian languages.
24. Rajya Sabha Passes The Code on Wages Bill, 2019
Rajya Sabha passed The Code on Wages Bill, 2019 after due consideration & discussion. Lok Sabha has already passed the bill on July 30. It will be the first Code to become an Act out of the 4 Codes formulated by Ministry of Labour and Employment.
1. Govt sanctions over 5,500 electric buses under FAME Phase II
The Department of Heavy Industry approved the sanction of 5,595 electric buses to 64 cities, state government entities, and state transport undertakings for intra-city and inter-city operation under FAME India scheme Phase II to push for clean mobility. In 2019 Budget, Rs 10,000 crore -allocation for FAME II scheme.
2. Air India Becomes 1st Indian Airline to Fly over Zero Degree North Pole
Air India became 1st in the world to operate flights over the Pacific Ocean, the Atlantic Ocean as well as the Polar region. With the new route, the distance between New Delhi & San Francisco has come down from 12,000 km to 8,000 km.
3. Government Partners With Tata Trust For Rs 300 Crore Skill Development Centre
Skill development ministry announced an association with the Tata Trust to build a Rs 300 crore modern training and skill development centre at Sion in Central Mumbai. Govt. will provide four acres in National Skill Training Institute located there.
4. ONGC to invest ₹83,000 crore in 25 projects
Oil and Natural Gas Corp (ONGC) is investing around ₹83,000 crore in 25 major projects to boost oil and gas production. The firm produced 24.23 million tonnes of crude oil in 2018-19 and 25.81 billion cubic metres of natural gas from its domestic fields.
5. Committee formed to review Defence Procurement Procedure
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh has constituted a Committee under the Chairmanship of Director General (Acquisition) to review the Defence Procurement Procedure (DPP) 2016 and Defence Procurement Manual (DPM) 2009.
6. Govt forms committee to rationalise additional taxes on Aviation Turbine Fuel
Aviation Ministry has formed a committee to rationalise additional taxes that airlines have to pay while uplifting Air Turbine Fuel (ATF) at airports across India. Currently, they have to pay charges such as ‘throughput charges’ & ‘into plane charges.
- Railways takes ISRO help in monitoring 700 trains real-time Control Office Application (COA) system designed by ISRO has begun real-time monitoring of over 700 trains, fitted with GPS (Global Positioning System). The system will help track movement of trains even between two
8. Centre releases over Rs 47,000 cr to increase green cover in states
Prakash Javadekar has handed over Rs 47,000 crore from Compensatory Afforestation Fund to various states, to be utilised for the compensatory afforestation, catchment area treatment, wildlife management, & improvement of wildlife habitat among others.
9. President Kovind gives assent to National Medical Commission Bill
President Ram Nath Kovind has given his assent to the National Medical Commission Bill, 2019, which was passed by both Houses of Parliament. The NMC will be an overarching body, which will frame policies and coordinate activities of four autonomous boards.
The NMC Act will repeal the Indian Medical Council Act 1956.
News: Most Important
1. India bags four medals in Worldskills Kazan competition
The Indian team created history by winning one gold, one silver and two bronze medals at the 45th WorldSkills Kazan 2019 competition, in Russia. It has been the country’s best performance since it first participated at the event in 2007. S Aswatha Narayana won the gold medal in water technology.
2. AIIB becomes member of the Ethics Network of Multilateral Organizations
During Ethics Network of Multilateral Organizations (ENMO’s) 2019 Annual Conference held in Munich, Germany. ENMO approved the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB) application for membership.
3. Serbia officially joins AIIB
Serbia became a non-regional member of the Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank. Serbia adopted the Law on Confirmation of the Founding Act of the AIIB, deposited the instrument of accession & paid the 1st instalment of its share in the bank’s capital.
4. Sri Lanka secures 160 million USD loan from ADB to modernize railway system
Sri Lankan government has secured a loan from the Asian Development Bank (ADB) amounting to 160 million U.S. dollars to modernize local railway operations and improve the efficiency of services provided by Sri Lanka Railways.
5. India contributes $1 million to UN fund
India has contributed $1 mn to the UN Special Purpose Trust Fund for the Resident Coordinator System. The SPTF established to receive, consolidate, manage & account for all financial transactions of the new Resident Coordinator system in an effective way.
- Russia Sends ‘Fedor’ Its First Humanoid Robot into space Russia launched an unmanned rocket carrying a life-size humanoid robot named Fedor (Final Experimental Demonstration Object Research) that will spend 10 days learning to assist astronauts on the International Space Station. It is first-ever sent by
- Israel, South Korea conclude talks on Free Trade Agreement Israel & South Korea concluded three years of negotiations on a free trade agreement. It will provide a competitive advantage & ease activity for Israeli exporters in the South Korean market, thus strengthening Israeli exports & increasing economic
India & world
News: Most Important
1. India, Bangladesh to set up a committee for optimum utilization of water resources
India and Bangladesh have agreed to set up a Joint Technical committee for optimum utilisation of Ganges water as being received by Bangladesh under the Ganga Water Sharing Treaty 1996. The Ganges-Brahmaputra-Meghna mega-basin is the second largest hydraulic region in the world.
2. India-UK project to find affordable solutions to cancer
The government’s Department of Biotechnology has joined hands with British charity, Cancer Research UK, to launch a research challenge for affordable approaches to cancer. The initiative will fund research projects totalling 10 million pounds over the next. It will be managed by DBT/Wellcome Trust India Alliance.
3. India, Australia & France to jointly create inclusive Indo- Pacific
India, France, and Australia, in a major strategic move, plans trilateral that will help to rebalance China in the Indo-Pacific in the backdrop of growing Indo-French & Indo-Australia & Australia- France partnership across the vast region.
4. India, US agree on collaboration in the defence sector
Indian and US officials have agreed to pursue a policy environment conducive to collaboration between the defense industry and startups in both countries. The DPG is the apex official-level meeting mechanism b/w India & US on defense issues.
5. India, Israel explore new areas of cooperation to boost financial ties
Israel and India are exploring to open new vistas of partnership in the world of finance, including collaboration between market regulators and allowing Israeli investment in corporate bonds, taking advantage of a favorable climate in both countries.
6. India, Bangladesh to set up a committee for optimum utilization of water resources
India and Bangladesh have agreed to set up a Joint Technical committee for optimum utilization of Ganges water. Both countries also agreed to prepare a framework for interim water-sharing agreement for 8 rivers including Feni, Gumti &Teesta.
7. India, China agree to further strengthen people-to-people ties
India & China signed four agreements to strengthen the cultural & people-to-people ties between the two neighbors & ancient civilizations. The two countries signed 4 agreements on cultural exchanges, healthcare, sports & cooperation in museum management.
8. India, Russia to boost ties to achieve $30 billion bilateral trade by 2025
India & Russia have called for diversifying & deepening of economic ties in priority sectors to meet the bilateral trade target of $30 bn by 2025. MoUs were signed b/w regions of the Russian Far East & 5 states of India to expand and strengthen cooperation.
9.India and Bhutan resolve to expand bilateral cooperation
Prime Minister Narendra Modi returned home after a successful two- day visit to Bhutan. The two countries signed various MoUs to diversify the friendship. The sectors include space, education, science, technology and legal
10. India, France Sign Agreements on Maritime Awareness, Skill Development
India and France signed an agreement on behalf of the Indian Space Research Organisation & Paris-based National Centre for Space Studies for the establishment of a joint maritime domain awareness mission to detect and tackle threats emanating from the sea.
11. India, Bahrain sign four agreements after delegation-level talks
India & Bahrain have signed four agreements in the fields of Culture, Space, Solar alliance & the roll-out of RuPay card. Both countries have economic & trade relations for several centuries. Bahrain’s investment in India amounts to 173 bn dollars via FDI.
1. PM Modi launched Rupay cards in UAE, Bahrain
Rupay cards was launched in UAE & Bahrain with the signing of MoUs during PM Modi’s visit to the two Gulf countries. He recently launched the card in Bhutan to strengthen India’s relationship in digital payments, trade & tourism with its neighbours.
2. V Prez embarks on three-nation visit to Lithuania, Latvia & Estonia
Vice Prez accompanied by a high-level delegation to visit the first-ever high-level visit to the three Baltic countries. The visit takes place in the context of increasing political engagement, as well as intensified trade and commercial ties.
3. UP extends bilateral cooperation MoU with the Netherlands
UP govt & Netherlands have extended the existing bilateral agreement of cooperation in several fields by another 5 yrs. MOU is in cooperation/exchange of the knowledge & techniques in the fields of solid waste management, spatial planning, water management.
4. India contributes USD 5 million to UN Palestine refugee agency
India contributed USD 5 mn to the UN Palestine refugee agency (United Nations Relief &Works Agency) & called for ensuring sustained fiscal support for the organization’s work. India increased its financial assistance to UNRWA from USD 1.25 mn to USD 5 mn.
5. President Kovind honoured with National order of Merit, highest award of Republic of Guinea
President Ram Nath Kovind has been awarded the National Order of Merit by the President of Guinea for his exceptional contribution to the advancement of overall relations and development of mutual cooperation between India and Guinea.
Quick Revision: Facts
|Country||Capital||Head of State /Govt.||Currency|
|Bangladesh||Dhaka||Abdul Hamid||Bangladeshi taka|
|UK||London||Boris Johnson||British pound|
|Australia||Canberra||Scott Morrison||Australian dollar|
|US||Washington DC||Donald Trump||United States dollar|
|Israel||Jerusalem||Benjamin Netanyahu||Israeli new shekel|
|China||Beijing||Xi Jinping||Chinese yuan|
|Russia||Moscow||Vladimir Putin||Russian ruble|
|Bhutan||Thimpu||Lotay Tshering||Bhutanese ngultrum|
|Bahrain||Manama||Prince Khalifa bin Salman Al Khalifa||Bahraini dinar|
|UAE||Dubai||Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan||United Arab Emirates dirham|
|Republic of Guinea||Conakry||Ibrahima Kassory Fofana||Guinean franc|
Appointments & Resignations
News: Most Important
1. Siddhartha Mohanty takes over as MD, CEO of LIC HFL
Siddhartha Mohanty has assumed charge as Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of the LIC Housing Finance (LIC HFL). Prior to this, Mohanty was the company’s He served as the Executive Director – Legal of Life Insurance Corporation of India.
2. Sudha Rani Relangi appointed as Director of Prosecution in CBI
Sudha Rani Relangi has been appointed Director of Prosecution in the Central Bureau of Investigation. She will serve for a period of two years with effect from the date of assumption of the charge of the post or until, whichever is earlier.
3. Anurag Adlakha appointed Yes Bank CFO
Private lender YES Bank announced the appointment of Anurag Adlakha as the group’s chief financial officer (CFO) following approval from the board of directors. Adlakha will take over from Raj Ahuja, who will now take over as group chief strategy officer.
4. Ravi Shastri reappointed head coach of the Indian team
Incumbent Ravi Shastri re-appointed head coach of the Indian men’s team by the Kapil Dev-led Cricket Advisory Committee, a decision that was expected. He has been reappointed for a two-year period, ending with the 2021 T20 World Cup in
5. Jaishankar R. Padmanabhan selected for appointment as NHB Executive Director
National Housing Bank has selected Jaishankar R. Padmanabhan for appointment to the post of Executive Director. He is currently Chief General Manager at India Infrastructure Finance Co Ltd (IIFCL).
6.Ajay Kumar Bhalla appointed as new Home Secretary
Government-appointed Ajay Kumar Bhalla as new Home Secretary. He is currently serving as Officer on Special Duty in Home Ministry. He succeeds Rajiv Gauba who will move out as Cabinet Secretary. Earlier, he served as the Secretary in the Ministry of
7. Vikram Rathour to replace Sanjay Bangar as India’s new batting coach
Former opener Vikram Rathour will replace Sanjay Bangar as India’s new batting coach while Bharath Arun and R. Sridhar were retained as bowling and fielding coachesTill2016, he was a senior national selector under Sandeep Patil’s chairmanship.
8. HSBC CEO John Flint steps down, Noel Quinn named interim CEO
HSBC announced the surprise departure of its Chief Executive Officer John Flint, 51 saying the bank needed a change at the top to address “a challenging global environment”. Noel Quinn, 57, the head of its Global Commercial Banking unit will hold the role of interim CEO
9. Kandikuppa Sreekant becomes Power Grid CMD
Power Grid Corporation’s Director (Finance) Kandikuppa Sreekant has taken over as the company’s Chairman and Managing Director. His tenure will be till December 31, 2023, the date of his superannuation, or until further orders, whichever is earlier.
10.DHFL appoints KK Mankeshwar & Co. as the new auditor
Dewan Housing Finance Corporation (DHFL) has appointed KK Mankeshwar Co. as its new statutory auditor. its other auditor –
Mumbai-based Chaturvedi and Shah LLP – also resigned. The company will be holding its annual general meeting on September 28
11. Sandeep Sinha named CEO of TAFE
Tractors and Farm Equipment Ltd. (TAFE) has appointed a new chief executive officer- Sandeep Sinha, former MD, Cummins India while CEO S. Chandramohan has been elevated as group president (finance and investment strategy).
12. Conservative Giammattei elected Guatemala president
Conservative Alejandro Giammattei was elected as Guatemala’s president. He defeated the former first lady Sandra Torres. He will succeed corruption-tainted outgoing President Jimmy Morales. He had polled almost 58.5 percent with a lead of 550,000
13.Pramod Agarwal to succeed Coal India chairman AK Jha
Public Enterprises Selection Board (PESB) has selected Pramod Agarwal, a 1991 batch IAS from Madhya Pradesh cadre as the next chairman of Coal India. He will take over after the present chairman A K Jha retires in January
14. IRDAI nominate Sanjay Verma as single point of contact for regulatory sandbox
IRDAI nominated Sanjay Verma, DGM (Distn Dev) as the “Single Point of Contact on regulatory sandbox matters. Wherein financial technology firms can seek permission to experiment with innovative approaches for the growth of the sector.
15. IndiGo appoints Aditya Pande as its new CFO
InterGlobe Aviation Ltd. has appointed GE-Healthcare official Aditya Pande as its chief financial officer. He replaces Rohit Philip. He is a qualified chartered accountant & has over 27 years of finance leadership experience.
16. Manoj Mukund Naravane takes charge as VC of Army staff
Lieutenant General Manoj Mukund Naravane took charge of Vice Chief of the Army. He who was earlier heading the Eastern Command of the Indian Army, succeeds Lieutenant General Devraj Anbu whose term ended
17.HDFC Bank appoints Srinivasan Vaidyanathan as CFO
HDFC Bank has promoted Srinivasan Vaidyanathan as Chief Financial Officer with immediate effect. He earlier held the position of Group Head (Finance) in the bank. He would replace Sashidhar Jagdishan who would continue to head the Finance function.
18. Five Indian States get new Governers appointed
Bhagat Singh Koshyari has been appointed as the new Governor of Maharashtra while former Union Minister Arif Mohammed Khan takes the responsibility of Kerala governor. Bandaru Dattatraya will be the new Governor of Himachal Pradesh.
1. Lenovo names Ashok Nair as Director for India Service Operations
Lenovo India announced the appointment of Ashok Nair as the Director for India Service Operations. Service is a strategic focus area for Lenovo and with this appointment, Lenovo aims to become a true customer centric brand, while driving growth.
4. Chandrima Shaha elected INSA’s first woman president
Former director of the National Institute of Immunology Chandrima Shaha has been elected as the first woman president of the reputed Indian National Science Academy. She will head INSA from 2020. She would focus on popularising science among the
3. P. T. Usha appointed a member of AAA’s Athletes Commission
P.T. Usha has been appointed as a member of the Asian Athletics Association’s Athletes Commission. She will be one of the 6 members of the AAA Athletes Commission, to be headed by Andrey Abduvaliyev of Uzbekistan.
4.Govt appoints VG Somani as new Drug Controller General
Govt appointed VG Somani as Drug Controller General of India. DCGI heads the Indian drug regulatory body CDSCO, whose functions include ensuring the quality of drugs and cosmetics sold in the country, approval of new drugs and regulating clinical
5.Paytm promotes CFO Madhur Deora as President
Paytm announced the promotion of its Chief Financial Officer Madhur Deora as the company’s President. Deora served as
Managing Director in Citigroup’s investment banking business in New York, London and Mumbai. He joined Paytm in October 2016.
6. Ravinder Takkar appointed Vodafone Idea CEO; Balesh Sharma steps down
Vodafone Idea CEO Balesh Sharma has stepped down. He was the representative of Vodafone in the JV b/w Vodafone & Idea. Ravinder Takkar has been appointed as his successor with immediate effect.
7. Ajay Kumar new Defence Secretary, Rajiv Gauba made Cabinet Secretary
Appointments Committee of the Cabinet has approved, Home Secretary Rajiv Gauba as Cabinet Secretary for two years. Ajay Kumar as Secretary, Defence who will replace Sanjay Mitra. Brij Kumar Agarwal has been appointed Secretary, Lokpal.
|Siddhartha Mohanty||MD, CEO of LIC HFL|
|John Flint(Resign)||Chief Executive Officer, HSBC Holdings Plc|
|Noel Quinn||Interim CEO, HSBC Holdings Plc|
|Ashok Nair||Director for India Service Operations, Lenovo|
|Sudha Rani Relangi||Director of Prosecution, CBI|
|Anurag Adlakha||CFO ,Yes Bank|
|Chandrima Shaha||INSA’s first woman president|
|P. T. Usha||Member, AAA’s Athletes Commission|
|VG Somani||Drug Controller General of India|
|Ravi Shastri||Head coach of Indian Men Cricket team|
|Jaishankar R. Padmanabhan||NHB , Executive Director|
|Madhur Deora||President, Paytm|
|Ravinder Takkar||CEO ,Vodafone Idea|
|Balesh Sharma (resign)||Vodafone Idea CEO|
|Ajay Kumar||Secretary ,Defence|
|Rajiv Gauba||Secretary, Cabinet|
|Ajay Kumar Bhalla||Secretary, Lokpal|
|Vikram Rathour||New batting coach, India|
|Kandikuppa Sreekant||CMD ,Power Grid|
|KK Mankeshwar & Co.||Auditor, DHFL|
|Sandeep Sinha||CEO, Tractors and Farm Equipment Ltd. (TAFE)|
|Alejandro Giammattei||President, Guatemala|
|Pramod Agarwal||Chairman, Coal India|
|Aditya Pande||CFO, IndiGo|
|Manoj Mukund Naravane||Vice Chief of Army staff|
|Srinivasan Vaidyanathan||CFO, HDFC Bank|
Ranks & Reports
News: Most Important
1.India slips to 7th largest economy in 2018: World Bank
According to the data by World Bank, India has been pushed to the 7th place in the global GDP rankings in 2018 with a GDP of $2.7 trillion. USA remains the top economy with a GDP of $20.5 trillion followed by China, Japan. UK & France placed at 5th & 6th
2.Karnataka emerges as best state for roof top solar in India
to the State Rooftop Solar Attractiveness Index–SARAL released by Min of New & Renewable Energy, Karnataka has emerged as the best state for setting up a rooftop solar project Telangana, Gujarat, Andhra Pradesh come next in the rankings. Jammu and Kashmir has been ranked last in the rankings.
3. Mumbai has been ranked as the 45th safest city
Mumbai was ranked as 45th safest city on the Safe Cities Index (SCI), Delhi stood at the 52nd position, as per a report by Economist Intelligence Unit. Tokyo came at top while Singapore & Osaka were place 2nd & 3rd respectively.
4. India largest SO2 emitter in world: Greenpeace
India is the world’s largest emitter of anthropogenic sulphur dioxide. Acc. to NASA data released by Greenpeace, India has more than 15% of all anthropogenic sulphur dioxide hotspots in the world detected by the OMI (Ozone Monitoring Instrument) satellite. SO2 emission hotspots: Singrauli (MP), Neyveli &Chennai (TN), etc.
5. Manipur tops the Breastfeeding and Infant and Young Child Feeding Practices in the country
Manipur topped the rankings in Breastfeeding and Infant and Young Child Feeding Practices in the country. Health and Family Welfare Minister Dr Harsh Vardhan released a report on Breastfeeding. Uttar Pradesh, Rajasthan and Bihar are at the bottom positions of the report card.
1.UPI transactions overtake debit card payments in 2018-19
of transactions via real-time payments system, the Unified Payments Interface (UPI), were 1.2 times higher than number of debit card transactions in 2018-19, as per RBI report. 5.35 bn UPI- based transactions, seen compared to 4.41 bn debit card uses.
2. Indians spend 7% of their day in office commute: Travel Time Report
As per the ‘Travel Time Report released by ,MoveInSync Technology Solutions, for 6 key cities of India namely, Bengaluru, Hyderabad, Chennai, Pune, Mumbai &Delhi-NCR,an avg. Indian spends 7% of their day in commuting to office averaging less than 3 min/Km.
3. Banking fraud amount rises by over 70%: RBI
RBI data shows that in FY19, banking sector reported 6,801 frauds involving a total Rs 71,542.93 crore as against 5,916 cases involving Rs 41,167.04 crore reported in 2017-18, up by a whopping 73.8%.
4.ANZ slashes forecast for India’s GDP growth in FY20 to 6.2%
The Australia and New Zealand Banking Group (ANZ) slashed its forecast for India’s economic growth to 6.2% in the financial year ending next March from a previous estimate of 6.5%, warning it would be tough for authorities to engineer a
News: Most Important
1. International Youth Day observed around the world: 12 August
12 August was designated International Youth Day by UN General Assembly in 1999, serving as an annual celebration of the role of young women & men as essential partners in change & an opportunity to raise awareness of challenges & problems faced by youths. 2019 Theme: “Transforming education”.
2. World Humanitarian Day observed on 19 August
World Humanitarian Day (WHD) is held every year on 19 August to pay tribute to aid workers who risk their lives in humanitarian service, and to rally support for people affected by crises around the world.
3.International Day Commemorating the Victims of Acts of Violence Based on Religion or Belief observed on 22 August
UN General Assembly (UNGA) adopted the day in order to strongly condemn continuing violence and acts of terrorism targeting individuals, including persons belonging to religious minorities, on the basis of or in the name of religion or
4. International Day of the Victims of Enforced Disappearances: 30 August
It’s purpose is to raise awareness of the wide range of enforced or involuntary disappearances that occur to people all over the world, including “arrest, detention, abduction or any other form of deprivation of liberty by agents of the State or by persons or groups of persons acting with the authorisation.
5. 5th National Handloom Day- August 7
The 5th National Handloom Day will be celebrated across the country. Union Minister of Textiles and Women and Child Development, SmritiZubinIrani, presided over a function at VigyanBhawan in New Delhi to mark the occasion.
6. World Biofuel Day observed on 10th August 2019
World Biofuel Day is observed every year on 10th of August to create awareness about the importance of non-fossil fuels as an alternative to conventional fossil fuels and highlight the various efforts made by Government in the biofuel sector. This year the theme of the World Biofuel Day was “Production of Biodiesel from Used Cooking Oil (UCO)”.
7. World Elephant Day (WED) celebrated every year on 12th August
The World Elephant Day (WED) is observed every year on 12th of August to raise awareness of the worsening plight of Asian and African elephants. It brings the world together to help protect & honour elephants and to spread awareness about the critical threats they are facing.
8. National Sports Day 2019: 29 August
PM Modi launched a nation-wide Fit India Movement on the occasion of National Sports Day. To commemorate the birth anniversary of hockey legend Major Dhyan Chand, National Sports Day is celebrated across the country.
1. International Day of Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism, 21 August
The day focus on the resilience of victims and their families- how they have coped and what they have done to transform their experiences to aid healing and recovery as well as become stronger and more united against terrorism.
2. International Day for the Remembrance of the Slave Trade and its Abolition
This International Day is intended to inscribe the tragedy of the slave trade in the memory of all peoples. In accordance with the goals of the intercultural project “The Slave Route”. It was first celebrated in Haiti (23 August 1998).
3. International Day Against Nuclear Tests: 29 August
In 2009, United Nations General Assembly declared 29 August the International Day against Nuclear Tests . It calls for increasing
awareness and education “about the effects of nuclear weapon test explosions or any other nuclear explosions and the need for their cessation as one of the means of achieving the goal of a nuclear-weapon-free world.
|August 6||Hiroshima Day||NA|
|August 7||National Handloom Day||NA|
|August 10||World Biofuel Day||Production of Biodiesel from Used Cooking Oil (UCO)|
|12 August||International Youth Day||Transforming education|
|12 August||World Elephant Day||NA|
|19 August||World Humanitarian Day||#WomenHumanitarians|
|21 August||International Day of
Remembrance and Tribute to the Victims of Terrorism
|22 August||International Day Commemorating the Victims of Acts of Violence Based on
Religion or Belief
|29 August||International Day Against Nuclear Tests||NA|
|29 August||National Sports Day 2019||NA|
|30 August||International Day of the
Victims of Enforced Disappearances
News: Most Important
1. Women’s cricket to be part of Birmingham 2022 Commonwealth Games
The Commonwealth Games Federation announced that women’s T20 Cricket has been confirmed for inclusion at the Birmingham Commonwealth Games in 2022. 8 teams will compete across 8match days. 2022 Commonwealth Games will take place in England.
2. Mumbai to Host Prestigious World Youth Chess Championship in October
World Youth Chess Championship will be held in Mumbai in October. Over 400 young players from Russia, the USA, France, Italy & Azerbaijan will participate in the event. India has won several gold, silver and bronze medals since it was introduced in 2004.
3. Archery: In World Youth Championships, India won the bronze medal
In Archery, the Indian team of Sukhbeer Singh, Sangampreet Singh Bisla and Tushar Phadtare clinched a bronze medal in the junior compound men’s team event in the World Youth Championships in Madrid. Indians defeated Colombians in the final.
4. Gokulam Kerala FC wins Durand Cup
In football, Gokulam Kerala FC won the 129th Durand Cup, defeating heavyweights Mohun Bagan 2-1 at the Salt Lake Stadium in Kolkata. Gokulam Kerala became the first club from the state in 22 years to clinch the tournament.
5. Washington Open: Nick Kyrgios beats Daniil Medvedev to win sixth ATP title
Nick Kyrgios, 24, overcame back spasms and a poor opening set to beat third seed Daniil Medvedev 7-6 (8-6) 7-6 (7-4). He hit 18 aces and never faced a break point against the Russian and will now move back into the world’s top 30.
6. India’s junior women boxers win 4 gold medals at Serbian tourney
India’s junior women boxers clinched 12 medals at the third Nation’s Cup in Vrbas, Serbia. The team won 4 gold,4 silver & 4 bronze medals and claimed the runners-up trophy. Tamanna clinched gold in 48 Kg category along with Ambeshori Devi in 57 Kg.
7. Indian junior shuttlers win 6 medals at Bulgarian Open
Indian junior shuttlers won 6 medals at the Bulgarian Junior Inter’nl Championships which concluded in Pazardzhik, Bulgaria. Gold medals were won by Samiya Imad Faruqui in women’s singles, the duo of Edvin Joy and Shruti Mishra in Mixed
8. Satwiksairaj, Chirag 1st Indian doubles pair to win Thailand Open’s Super 500 title
Satwiksairaj Rankireddy and Chirag Shetty became the first Indian pair to win a BWF Super 500 badminton tournament. They beat World champions Li Jun Hui and Liu Yu Chen of China in the summit clash of Thailand Open at Bangkok.Taiwan shuttler Chou Tien-Chen
– Men’s singles winner.
1. Chennai Lions Beat Dabang Delhi to Lift Ultimate Table Tennis league 2019
Chennai Lions Beat Dabang Delhi 8-1 to claim the 2019 Ultimate Table Tennis league title held at Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in New Delhi. The Ultimate Table Tennis (UTT) is a professional level table tennis league in India launched in 2017.
2. Shot putter Tejinderpal Singh Toor clinches silver in Athletic meet
Shot putter Tejinderpal Singh Toor clinched a silver medal during an athletic meet at Decin in the Czech Republic. The Asian Games gold medallist came up with the best throw of 20.09m.
3. Paytm retains BCCI title sponsorship rights till 2023 for Rs 326.8 crore
Paytm, the e-commerce payment system and digital wallet company will continue as the title sponsor of the Indian cricket board’s domestic and international matches for the next five years. Rs 326.80 crore was the winning bid.
News: Most Important
1. National Urban Livelihoods Mission conferred SKOCH Governance Gold Award
DAY-NULM, a flagship mission under the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs has been conferred the prestigious SKOCH Governance Gold Award for its Portal for Affordable Credit & Interest Subvention Access (PAiSA) in a function held at Delhi.
2. Conservationist Vivek Menon wins Clark Bavin Award
Conservationist Vivek Menon, head of Delhi-based conservation non-profit, Wildlife Trust of India awarded the prestigious Clark R Bavin Wildlife Law Enforcement Award for the year 2019. He co-founded TRAFFIC India with his mentor the late Ashok
3. IIT Delhi Startup’s Multisensory Kit Wins National Disability Award
Ankita Gulati has won the NCPEDP-Mphasis Universal Design Award 2019 for developing a multisensory kit which narrates the content in the raised picture when a visually impaired person touches it.
4. 66th National Film Awards: Sriram Raghavan’s AndhaDhun Wins Best Hindi Film
Best Director: Uri : The Surgical Strike- Aditya Dhar; Best Feature Film: Hellaro a Gujarati film by Abhishek Shah; Best Actor: Ayushmann Khuranna & Vicky Kaushal ;Best Actress: Keerthy Suresh ;Best Male Playback Singer: Arijit Singh. Best film on Social Issues: Padman.
5.Ravish Kumar Wins Magsaysay Award for His Journalism
NDTV’s Ravish Kumar has been named for the prestigious Ramon Magsaysay Award for ‘harnessing journalism to give voice to the voiceless’ and his ‘unfaltering commitment to professional, ethical journalism of the highest standards’.
6. ISRO Chairman K. Sivan Conferred TN Govt’s Abdul Kalam Award
- Sivan, chairman of the Indian Space Research Organisation
(ISRO), was awarded the Tamil Nadu government’s Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Award. Kalpana Chawla Award for Courage and Daring Enterprise to P. Ramyalakshmi was also handed.
1. Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman be conferred with the Vir Chakra
Wing Commander Abhinandan Varthaman, who had shot down a Pakistani F-16 near the Line of Control (LoC) in February resulting in his capture and subsequent release by Islamabad, will be conferred with the Vir Chakra.
2. Prabhakar Singh given the ‘Eminent Engineer Award- 2019
Prabhakar Singh ,Director General, Central Public Works
Department has been chosen for the ‘Eminent Engineer Award for the Year 2019’ by the Institution of Engineers (India) for his distinguished and exemplary Service in the field of Engineering & Tech.
3. Kirti Chakra will be conferred on soldier Prakash Jadhav (posthumously)
The Kirti Chakra, the third highest military honour awarded during peacetime, conferred on soldier Prakash Jadhav, who died in a gunfight with terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir in 2018
|National Urban Livelihoods Mission||SKOCH Governance Gold Award|
|Vivek Menon||Clark Bavin Award|
|Ankita Gulati||National Disability Award|
Aditya Dhar ,Uri : The Surgical Strike-
Hellaro a Gujarati film Ayushmann Khuranna & Vicky Kaushal
Keerthy Suresh Arijit Singh Padman
|Best Hindi Film(66th National Film Awards) Best Director
Best Feature Film Best Actor
Best Male Playback Singer Best film on Social Issues
|Ravish Kumar||Magsaysay Award|
|Prabhakar Singh||Eminent Engineer Award for the Year 2019|
|Abhinandan Varthaman||Vir Chakra|
|TN Govt’s Abdul Kalam Award||K. Sivan|
|Kalpana Chawla Award||P. Ramyalakshmi|
News: Most Important
1. Veteran Gujarati journalist Kanti Bhatt dies at 88
Veteran Gujarati journalist and columnist Kanti Bhatt died in Mumbai at the age of 88. He was the founding editor of o Gujarati magazines, Abhiyan, which he launched with his wife Sheela, also a veteran journalist and member of the Editors Guild of India.
2. Freedom fighter Dayanidhi Nayak passes away at 95
Noted freedom fighter Dayanidhi Nayak, who struggled against the British Government during the Quit India movement, has died. He was 95. He was the youngest freedom fighter from Panimora. He was jailed for 9 months during Quit India Movement
3. Former cricketer VB Chandrasekhar passes away
Former India opener and national selector VB Chandrasekhar passed away in Chennai on following a massive cardiac arrest. Chandrasekhar played 7 ODIs between 1988 and 1990, scoring only 88 runs.
4. Veteran actor Vidya Sinha passes away at 71
Veteran Bollywood actress Vidya Sinha, known for her role in Basu Chatterjee’s film “Rajnigandha” (1974), passed away after a brief lung-cum-heart ailment. She was born in Mumbai on November 15, 1947, to film producer Rana Pratap Singh.
5.Veteran music director-composer Khayyam passes away
Veteran music director-composer Mohammed Zahur Khayyam Hashmi, best known for his music in classic films such as ‘Umrao Jaan’ & ‘Kabhi’, passed away in Mumbai. He was 92. He won Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 2007, 3 Filmfare Awards for Best Music.
6.Former Madhya Pradesh CM Babulal Gaur passes away
Former Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister and senior BJP leader, Babulal Gaur passed away in He was 89. He served as Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister between 2004 and 2005 and represented Govindpura Assembly seat for 10 times.
7. Arun Jaitley dies at 66
Former finance minister and a stalwart of the BJP, Arun Jaitley, passed away in New Delhi. He was 66. He was also served on the Atal Bihari Vajpayee cabinet. He served as the Leader of the Opposition in the Rajya Sabha between 2009 and 2014.
8. V.G. Siddhartha, boss of Coffee Day, found dead
V.G. Siddhartha, an Indian entrepreneur’s body was fished out of the Netravati River on July 31st. Café Coffee Day, the chain Mr Siddhartha founded in 1996, has 1,700 outlets in India—ten times the number of Starbucks shops in the country.
9. Cricket commentator Anant Setalvad passed away
Anant Setalvad, whose pleasant baritone voice distinguished him from other cricket commentators from the mid-1960s through to the 1980s, passed away at the age of 84. He was a commentator for AIR in Ranji Trophy and other BCCI tournaments and also for Test matches
10.Professional wrestler Harley Race passed away at 76
Former professional wrestler Harley Race died at age 76. Harley Race captured the NWA World Heavyweight Championship eight times. He joined the WWE full-time during the company’s national expansion in 1986 and was finally inducted into its Hall of Fame in 2004.
11. India’s first woman DGP Kanchan Chaudhary Bhattacharya passes away
Kanchan Chaudhary Bhattacharya, the country’s first woman Director General of Police (DGP) passed away. She was 72. Born in Himachal Pradesh, Chaudhary was the country’s second woman IPS officer after Kiran Bedi. She led the Uttarakhand Police force as DGP from 2004 to 2007.
1. Argentina World Cup winner Jose Luis Brown dies at 62
Football player José Luis Brown has died at 62. He scored Argentina’s opening goal in their win against West Germany in the 1986 World Cup final. He played 36 times for Argentina’s football team.
2. Former Additional Solicitor General Amarendra Sharan dies at 70
Former Additional Solicitor General Amarendra Sharan has died at the age of 70. He represented the Centre as the additional solicitor general from 2004 to 2009. He won the award for outstanding contribution to the development of scientific jurisprudence.
4. First African-American woman Nobel laureate Toni Morrison passed away
First African-American woman to win the Nobel Prize in literature, in 1993, Toni Morrison passed away in Bronx( US). She was 88. In 1988, she won the Pulitzer Prize and the American Book Award for Beloved(1987).
5. Former External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj passes away in New Delhi
Former External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj (2014-19) passed away after suffering a massive cardiac arrest. She was the 2nd woman to hold the foreign ministry office. She had won from Vidisha constituency in Madhya Pradesh for a 2nd term in 2014. She served as 5th CM of Delhi from 13 Oct 1998 to 3 Dec 1998.
6. Oscar-winning documentary maker DA Pennebaker dies at 94
DA Pennebaker, the Oscar-winning documentary maker whose historic contributions included immortalizing a young Bob Dylan in Don’t Look Back & capturing the spin behind Bill Clinton’s 1992 presidential campaign in The War Room, has died. He was 94.
7. Former cricketer Malcolm Nash passes away
The Glamorgan bowler, Malcolm Nash has died at the age of 74. He became famous after Garfield Sobers hit him for six sixers in an over. He took 993 first-class wickets in a 17-year career b/w 1966 and 1983 & also scoring 7,129 runs & holding 148 catches.
|Obituary (Name)||Related Field|
|Dayanidhi Nayak||Freedom Fighter|
|Mohammed Zahur Khayyam Hashmi||Music direction-composition|
|V.G. Siddhartha||Founder, CCD|
|Anant Setalvad||Cricket Commentator|
|Kanchan Chaudhary Bhattacharya||First woman Director General of Police (DGP)|
|Jose Luis Brown||Football Player|
|Amarendra Sharan||Former Additional Solicitor General|
|Sushma Swaraj||Former External Affairs Minister|
|DA Pennebaker||Oscar-winning documentary maker|
News: Most Important
1. One Nation-one Ration Card scheme implemented on a pilot basis in four States
Govt launched One Nation-One Ration Card scheme on a pilot basis in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh, Maharashtra & Gujarat to boost national food security. Families who have food security cards can buy subsidized rice & wheat from any ration shop in these states.
2. Jharkhand govt launches direct money transfer scheme for small farmers
VP Naidu launched the Jharkhand’s ‘Mukhya Mantri Krishi Ashirwad Yojana’ to transfer money into the bank accounts of farmers. Under the scheme, beneficiaries having farmland of less than 1 acre to 5 acres, will get ₹ 5000 – 25000 in their bank accounts.
3. Mamata scheme for PVTG women in Odisha extended for five years
The Odisha state women and child development department has extended benefits of the Direct Cash Benefit “Mamata” scheme to the Particularly Vulnerable Tribal Groups (PVTG) in the state for another five years. Mamata was launched by the state government in September 2011.
4. Gujarat CM launches ‘Vhali Dikri Yojana’
Gujarat CM Vijay Rupani has launched the ‘Vhali Dikri Yojana’. Under the scheme, govt will pay ₹ 4000 to every girl child at the time of admission to Standard 4th, ₹ 6000 at IX standard
admission, ₹ 1 Lakh at higher education admission at the age of 18.
1. ‘Samagra Shiksha-Jal Suraksha’ Drive for School Students launched
Union HRD Minister Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ and Union Minister for Jal Shakti Gajendra Singh Shekhawat launched ‘Samagra Shiksha-Jal Suraksha’ to promote water conservation activities among school students.
2. Haryana govt to roll out Mukhya Mantri Parivar Samridhi Yojana
Haryana announced the roll-out of ‘Mukhya Mantri Parivar Samridhi Yojana’ to provide social securities to families. Under the scheme, ₹ 6000 per year will be given to each eligible family. Eligibility –
Families having an annual income less than ₹ 180000.
3. Pradhan Mantri Kisan Maan Dhan Yojana launched by Agri Minister
Agri Minister Narendra Singh Tomar announced the launching of Pradhan Mantri Kisan Maan Dhan Yojana ,a pension scheme for small and marginal farmers in which the farmers would get a monthly pension of ₹ 3,000 once he or she would attain age of 60.
Person in News
News: Most Important
1. Aishwary wins gold at Sardar Sajjan Singh Sethi memorial shooting
In Shooting, Aishwary Pratap Singh Tomar clinched a gold medal in Men’s Rifle 3 Positions (3P) at 12th Sardar Sajjan Singh Sethi Memorial Masters competition in New Delhi. Tinjit Dhanota & Esha Singh won the Men’s &Women’s 10 metres Air Pistol gold medals.
2. Vinayak S Hiremath youngest doctor to be felicitated with ‘Pride of Nation Award’
Dr Vinayak S Hiremat has been felicitated with ‘Pride of the Nation Award’ for his exemplary work in the field of medicine. He is the youngest doctor of Gulbarga. He offers free insulin consultation & treatment to gestational (pregnancy) diabetic mothers.
3. Vinesh Phogat wins third successive gold in 53kg
Vinesh Phogat has bagged gold in women’s 53kg category of the Poland Open wrestling tournament in Warsaw. She defeated Roksana in the final of the competition. It was her third consecutive gold in the same category.
4. Lewis Hamilton overtakes Max Verstappen to win Hungarian Grand Prix
Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes) has passed Max Verstappen (Red Bull) to win the Hungarian Grand Prix. It is Hamilton’s 81st career win is also his seventh at the Hungarian GP. Sebastian Vettel (Ferrari) took third place followed by Charles Leclerc (Ferrari).
5. Bajrang Punia wins gold at Tbilisi Grand Prix
Bajrang Punia has won the gold medal at Tbilisi Grand Prix. He, who had won a gold at the same event last year as well, prevailed 2-0 over Iran’s Peiman Bibyani in the 65 Kg category final of the men’s free style competition in the capital city of Georgia.
6. Sourabh Verma wins BWF Hyderabad Open
Sourabh Verma clinched the Hyderabad Open BWF Tour Super-100 Tournament at Gachibowli Stadium, Hyderabad. He defeated Loh Kean Yew of Singapore 21-13, 14-21, 21-16 in the final clash. Yeo Jia Min of Singapore)clinched women’s singles.
7. Aishwarya Pissay becomes first Indian to claim a world title in motorsports
Aishwarya Pissay became the 1st Indian to claim a world title in motorsports, annexing the FIM World Cup in the women’s category at Varpalota in Hungary. She was placed 2nd in the junior category with 46 points, behind Tomas de Gavardo (60) of Chile.
8. Virat Kohli , first batsman to score 20,000 international runs in a decade
Indian captain Virat Kohli has become the first batsman to score 20,000 international runs in a single decade, the incredible stat providing another reflection of his greatness. He has scored 20,018 in the ongoing decade.
9. Bajrang Punia and Deepa Malik to get Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
Wrestler Bajrang Punia and Deepa Malik got nominated for the country’s highest sporting honour — the Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna award. Their name was finalized panel comprising likes of Bhaichung Bhutia & M C Mary Kom among others.
10. Spain’s Alex Rins wins British Grand Prix at Silverstone
Suzuki Ecstar rider Alex Rins has won the British Grand Prix by defeating the world champion Marc Marquez (Honda rider). He won the race for the first time since 2014. Maverick Vinales took the third position followed by Valentino
11. Satendra Singh Lohia become the first Asian swimmer to cross the Catalina Channel of America
Divyang Satendra Singh Lohia from Madhya Pradesh has become the first Asian swimmer to cross the Catalina Channel of America. Satendra holds the Asian record of crossing both the English and Catalina channels.
12. Ajantha Mendis retires from all forms of cricket
Sri Lankan mystery spinner Ajantha Mendis announced his retirement from all forms of the game. The 34-year old, last played in international cricket in 2015, took 288 wickets for his country across the three formats.
13. PV Sindhu only Indian among Forbes list of world’s highest- paid female athletes
As per Forbes released list of World’s Highest Paid Female Athletes badminton star P V Sindhu with total earnings of 5.5 million dollars is the only athlete from the country to be named among the achievers.
14. Cancer researcher becomes first woman to win 4,000km cycling race
A German cancer researcher Fiona Kolbinger has become the 1st woman to win 4000 km cycling race. She took 10 days, 2 hours & 48 mins to complete the challenge & started from Burgas in Bulgaria to Brest in France. She was one of 40 women to start the race.
15. Adarsh Singh wins double gold in shooting meet
In Shooting, Adarsh Singh won the gold medal in both the men & junior 25 m rapid fire pistol event at the Sardar Sajjan Singh Sethi Memorial Masters competition in New Delhi. In the junior event, Vijayveer Sidhu of Chandigarh was defeated by Adarsh Singh.
1. Vinod Dham backs computer vision startup Orbo
Vinod Dham, developer of Intel’s Pentium micro-processor and technology mentor, has taken part in a Rs 11.4 crore ($1.6 million) funding round in Orbo, a maker of artificial intelligence-based image enhancement software.
2. Hima Das, Mohammad Anas win gold at Athleticky Mitink Reiter event
Top Indian sprinters Hima Das and Mohammad Anas won a gold each in 300m races at the Athleticky Mitink Reiter event in the Czech Republic. This was Hima’s sixth gold in 2019 in European races since last month.
3. Vishnu P R selected to participate in first Youth Climate Summit at UN
Vishnu P R from Thiruvananthapuram is selected to participate in the first-ever Youth Climate Summit. It is a platform for young leaders to showcase their solutions for climate change on a global stage. He is one of the 100 participants in the summit.
4. Former Uruguay Captain Diego Forlan Announces Retirement From Football
Former Uruguay captain and English Premier League winner with Manchester United, Diego Forlan has announced his official retirement at the age of 40. He was named the best player at the 2010 World Cup in South Africa where Uruguay finished fourth.
5. Rafael Nadal cruises past Daniil Medvedev to win fifth Rogers Cup title
Rafael Nadal added a fifth Rogers Cup title, defeating Daniil Medvedev in the men’s final, 6-3, 6-0 at IGA Stadium in just 70 minutes. Nadal, 33, won last year’s Rogers Cup in Toronto, where he also triumphed in 2008.
6. PV Sindhu becomes first Indian shuttler to win World Championships gold
PV Sindhu became the 1st Indian to win badminton World Championships gold by beating Nozomi Okuhara of Japan in Basel. It was Sindhu’s 5th World Championships medal. She won a silver in 2016 Rio Olympic Games, a silver at Gold Coast Commonwealth Games.
7. Komalika Bari becomes recurve cadet world champion; India wins 2 gold, 1 bronze
Komalika Bari became recurve cadet world champion at the World Archery Youth Championships in Madrid. She defeated Sonoda Waka of Japan in the final. Bari is the 2nd recurve cadet world champion (U-18) after Deepika Kumari who won the title in 2009.
Summits & Conference
News: Most Important
1. 7th Community Radio Sammelan to be held in Delhi
7th Community Radio Sammelan to be held at New Delhi. The Sammelan, being organized by the Ministry of I&B will have Union Minister Shri Prakash Javadekar presenting awards to Community Radio Stations for their achievements in broadcasting development. The theme of 2019 Sammelan: ‘Community Radio for SDGs’.
2. Smriti Irani lays foundation stone of Integrated Textiles Tourism Complex
Union Minister of Textiles Smriti Zubin Irani today laid the foundation stone of the Integrated Textiles Tourism Complex at Nongpoh, Ri Bhoi district. Under the ‘Samarth’ scheme, the government plans to skill 30,000 citizens
3. PM Modi attend G7 summit in France
PM Narendra Modi attended the 45th edition of G7 Summit in Biarritz, France. He will address sessions on the environment, climate, oceans & digital transformation. The summit will focus on fighting income and gender inequality & protecting biodiversity.
4. Foreign Ministers from South East Asia attend 52nd ASEAN summit
Foreign Ministers from South East Asia attended the 52nd ASEAN summit in Bangkok. The annual meeting opened with a call from the host Thailand for deeper integration to expand trade and bolster prosperity in the region amid rising global challenges.
5. WorldSkills International Competition 2019 held in Kazan, Russia
More than 1,500 competitors from 60 countries competed in 55 skill competitions at this mega event. India participated in 44 skills including mobile robotics, prototype modelling, hairdressing, baking, confectionary & patisserie, welding, bricklaying, car painting, floristry among others.
6. 4th South Asian Speaker’s Summit to be held in the Maldives
The 4th South Asian Speaker’s Summit will be held in Male, Maldives on September 01 and 02, 2019. The theme of the event is
“Achieving Sustainable Development Goals”. A parliamentary delegation led by Lok Sabha Speaker Om Birla will represent India.
7. President of India inaugurates the First World Youth Conference on Kindness
President Kovind inaugurated the first World Youth Conference on Kindness in New Delhi. It is organized with an aim to impart critical competencies in global youth & enable them to transform themselves & build long-lasting peace in their communities.
8. 5th Meeting of India-Nepal Joint Commission held in Kathmandu
The 5th Meeting of India-Nepal Joint Commission held in Kathmandu on 21- 22 August. It reviewed the overall state of bilateral relations and various areas of cooperation such as connectivity, economic partnership, trade & transit etc. S Jaishankar participated in the meeting.
9. Department of Atomic Energy organizes 2-day exhibition
Dept of Atomic Energy organized a 2-day exhibition on DAE spin-off technologies for non-power applications at New Delhi. Event exhibited DAE techs in the field of health, agriculture, water, food security and
10. Arjun Ram Meghwal addresses 3rd International Electric Vehicle Conclave
The 3rd International Electric Vehicle Conclave at the International Centre for Automotive Technology in Manesar, Gurugram. The Conclave was held to create a knowledge-sharing platform to ensure the flow of information at all levels in the automotive sector.
11. India Participates in 8th RCEP Inter-Sessional Ministerial Meeting
Commerce Secretary Dr. Anup Wadhawan led a delegation to the 8th RCEP Inter-sessional Ministerial meeting held in Beijing on 2-3 August 2019. During the meeting, he highlighted India’s contribution in shaping the RCEP negotiations to date.
1. 12th India Security Summit held in Delhi
12th India Security Summit on the theme “Towards New National Cyber Security Strategy” was held where many issues were discussed such as protection of critical national infrastructure, emerging cyber threats: incidents, challenges and response.
2. Rajnath Singh inaugurated Vigyan Mela in Ladakh
Defence Minister Rajnath Singh inaugurated Vigyan Mela science fair being organized at the Defence Institute of High-Altitude Research (DIHAR). It showcased agricultural products developed by the Defence Research Development Organization.
3. HRD Minister inaugurates 2-day intern’l conference on teacher education
Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’ inaugurated an international conference on teacher education in New Delhi. Event is being organized by the National Council of Teacher Education as part of silver jubilee celebration of its establishment in 1995.
4. IIM Kozhikode to host Women Economic Forum for entrepreneurs
The first Kerala edition of Women Economic Forum (WEF) will be held at the Indian Institute of Management (IIM) Kozhikode. It will be organized by All Ladies League. WEF will include sessions focusing on learning, networking and business development.
|7th Community Radio Sammelan||New Delhi|
|Integrated Textiles Tourism Complex||Nongpoh, Ri Bhoi district|
|52nd ASEAN summit||Bangkok|
|WorldSkills International Competition 2019||Kazan, Russia|
|4th South Asian Speaker’s Summit||Male, Maldives|
|First World Youth Conference on Kindness||New Delhi|
|India-Nepal Joint Commission||Kathmandu|
|2-day exhibition on DAE||New Delhi|
|3rd International Electric Vehicle Conclave||Manesar, Gurugram|
|8th RCEP Inter-Sessional Ministerial Meeting||Beijing, China|
|12th India Security Summit held in Delhi||New Delhi|
|Intern’l conference on teacher education||New Delhi|
|Women Economic Forum for entrepreneurs||IIM Kozhikode|
News: Most Important
- India test-fires Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missile India test-fired a sophisticated all-weather & all-terrain Quick Reaction Surface-to-Air Missile (QRSAM) from a test range in Odisha. The state-of-the-art missile has been developed by the
Defense Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) for the Army.
- US approves $3.3 bn sales of anti-ballistic missiles to Japan United States approved the USD 3.3 billion sales of anti-ballistic missiles to Japan. Japan will buy up to 73 of the Raytheon-made SM-3 Block IIA missiles, which are designed to be fired by the shipboard Aegis system to intercept incoming ballistic
1. Coast Guards of India & Sri Lanka agree to strengthen cooperation in addressing maritime issues
Indian & Sri Lankan Coast Guards agreed to strengthen cooperation in addressing a spectrum of maritime issues concerning safety & security. They agreed to continue the capacity building of Sri Lankan Coast Guard &mutual co-operation in multilateral forums.
2. Iran unveils new missile defense system Bavar-373
Iranian President Hassan Rouhani has inducted a locally built air- defense system into the country’s missile defense network named ‘Bavar-373’. It is the country’s first domestically produced long- range missile defense system.
News: Most Important
1. IFC and MIGA to support wind farm in Egypt
IFC and MIGA, members of the World Bank Group, have signed an agreement to support the development of a 252-megawatt wind farm by Lekela in Egypt’s Red Sea governorate. IFC will provide
$84m financing while MIGA will offer $122m in financial guarantees.
2. Discovery, WWF tie up to preserve Sundarbans
Discovery & WWF India have partnered with Govt of West Bengal to help save the world’s only mangrove tiger habitat. Project CAT will solve several issues faced in the region. It includes building datasets on impacts of climate change on estuarine ecosystem.
3. MoU between Indian Navy and IMD
MoU b/w Indian Navy (IN) & India Meteorological Department was signed at Naval Base, Kochi for the handing over of Cyclone Detection Radar (CDR) building by IMD to enable them to utilize within naval premises at Kochi for meteorological purposes.
4. MeitY and Google tie-up to Build for Digital India
Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (MeitY) and Google signed a statement of intent to roll-out ‘Build for Digital India’, a program that will give engineering students a platform to develop market-ready, technology-based solutions.
5. Wipro expands its partnership with Google Cloud
Wipro said it has expanded its strategic partnership with Google Cloud to accelerate cloud adoption and digital transformation for global enterprises. The software services exporter said it has a dedicated practice focused on Google Cloud Platform (GCP).
6. Flipkart partners NSDC to train supply chain workforce of 20,000
Flipkart has partnered with National Skill Development Corporation’s Logistics Sector Skill Council to train 20000 of its delivery executives. The trained supply chain workforce will be certified in all aspects of product delivery & customer experience.
1. Reliance Jio, Microsoft announce alliance to accelerate digital transformation in India
Reliance Jio & Microsoft announced a long-term strategic relationship to accelerate the digital transformation of the Indian economy & society. This 10-year commitment combines the world-class capabilities of both companies to offer a detailed set of solutions.
2. Wipro, IISc to jointly innovate in robotics, 5G
Wipro tied-up with the IISc for advanced research & innovation in autonomous systems, robotics & 5G. It will focus on R & D in artificial intelligence, machine learning, visual computing, human- computer interaction and vehicle-to-everything communication.
3. Samsung India ties up with Mastercard, RBL Bank for mobile payments
Mastercard, RBL Bank & Samsung India have announced the launch of Samsung Pay for RBL Bank’s credit cardholders. It allows RBL Bank Mastercard credit cardholders to make contactless mobile payments using their Samsung Pay-enabled phones.
4. BSE ties up with SUFI for steel futures
Steel Users Federation of India(SUFI) has signed a MoU with the BSE to help the later launch futures trading in steel. They will work towards enlisting steel futures in both long and flat steel to help industry players hedge the risk on the exchange platform.
Books & Authors
News: Most Important
1. Sridevi: Girl Woman Superstar’ book to be launched in October
The book, titled ‘Sridevi: Girl Woman Superstar”, is written by author-screenwriter Satyarth Nayak. It recounts the life and times of the iconic actor who changed how women stars were perceived in the male-dominated film industry.
2. ‘Listening, Learning and Leading’ book launched
A book titled “Listening, Learning and Leading” chronicling Venkaiah Naidu’s 2 years in office as Vice President was released by Home Minister Amit Shah in an event organized by the Ministry of Information & Broadcasting.
1. e-Rozgar Samachar launched to spread awareness about job opportunities
The e-version of Rozgar Samachar was launched by Union Minister of Information & Broadcasting Shri Prakash Javadekar. It has been launched with a view to make aspirants aware of job opportunities in the government sector including public sector enterprises.
2. Culture Minister Prahlad Patel launches book titled- the Diary of Manu Gandhi’
Prahlad Singh Patel launched the book titled- ‘the Diary of Manu Gandhi’ in New Delhi. English translation of the book will help the entire world to understand the life of Mahatma Gandhi. The book has been edited and translated by Dr. Tridip Suhrud.
|Books||Authored By/Launched By/Published By|
|Sridevi: Girl Woman Superstar’||Satyarth Nayak|
|e-Rozgar Samachar||Prakash Javadekar|
|‘Listening, Learning and Leading’||Home Minister Amit Shah|
|The Diary of Manu Gandhi’||Prahlad Patel|
Science & Technology
News: Most Important
1. MIT scientists built biggest-ever carbon nanotube computer chip
Scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) have developed the biggest-ever computer chip using carbon nanotubes (CNT), instead of silicon. The RV16XNano
is a 16-bit processor that contains 14,000 transistors — electronic.
2. IIT Guwahati Researchers develop membranes that can separate oil and water
Researchers at IIT Guwahati have developed two distinct and special membranes that can separate oil and water, even under harsh conditions. These membranes are super-water repellent in air and super oil-repellent in water.
3. IIT Kharagpur Researchers Develop Low-Cost Blood Test Device
IIT Kharagpur researchers have developed a low-cost diagnostic device to perform pathological tests by using blood. The device requires a paper strip-based kit integrated with a smartphone to enable analytics & readout functions & an LED light for imaging.
1. IIT Hyderabad researchers develop sensor device to detect heart diseases
Researchers at IIT Hyderabad are collaborating with research institutions across the world to develop a device to detect heart diseases with high speed, sensitivity and reliability. The device can also be extended to the detection of other diseases.
2. FDA approves new oral three-drug regimen for extensively drug-resistant TB
The US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has approved new oral three-drug regimen for the extensively-drug resistant tuberculosis (XDR-TB), estimated to have a mortality rate of 60 per cent.
Tuberculosis caused about 1.6 million deaths globally in 2017.
News: Most Important
1. Army Launches E-Car to Combat Pollution
Indian Army has launched an ecological initiative with employing E Cars in partnership with EESL. It plans to operate a batch of 10 E- Cars as a pilot project and increase the number of E Cars in Delhi to ensure economy, efficiency and minimal emissions.
2.July was the hottest month ever recorded on Earth: NOAA
According to National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), global land and sea temperature recordings from 2019’s 7thmonth compared with its 140-year data set, stretching back to 1880, it was the Hottest Month Ever Recorded on
3. ICFRE-ICIMOD’s REDD+ Himalayan program extended till 2020
Reducing Emissions from Deforestation & Forest Degradation (REDD+) program being carried out in the Himalayan states jointly by the Indian Council of Forestry Research and Education (ICFRE) and International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development (ICIMOD) has been extended till July 2020.
1.Centre for avian ecotoxicology inaugurated in Coimbatore
A National Centre for Avian Ecotoxicology was inaugurated in Coimbatore. The center would study the movement of
environmental contaminants such as pesticides, polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons, etc & drugs via food chain & their harmful effects on birds.
2. Ocean energy declared as green energy: Power Ministry
The power ministry has approved a proposal to declare ocean energy as renewable energy. Energy produced using tidal, wave and ocean thermal energy conversion will be considered as Renewable Energy. The decision would boost ocean energy in India.
Apps & Portals
News: Most Important
1. New mobile app Meghdoot launched to assist farmers
The Ministries of Earth Sciences and Agriculture have launched a mobile application named Meghdoot, that will provide the location, and crop and livestock-specific weather-based agro advisories to farmers in local languages. App has been integrated with WhatsApp & Facebook to help farmers.
2. Railway Protection Force (RPF) Launches “Operation Number Plate” across Indian Railways
Railway Protection Force (RPF) of Indian Railways launched a Special Drive with a Code Name – Operation “Number Plate” to identify and verify all vehicles parked in Railway premises,
circulating area, parkings and even in the ‘No Parking’ areas for longer duration.
3. HRD Ministry launches NISHTHA to train teachers across the country
Min. of HRD launched National Initiative for School Heads’ & Teachers’ Holistic Advancements (NISHTHA). It is aimed at training over 42 L teachers in India. He launched its website, training modules, primer booklet & mobile app built for the purpose.
4. CAIT launches an initiative to accelerate acceptance of digital payments among merchants
Traders body CAIT launched an initiative ,Digi Vyapari-Safal Vyapari ,to accelerate acceptance of digital payments among merchants across the country. It has partnered with HDFC Bank, Mastercard, Common Service Centres (CSCs) of Ministry of Electronics and Information Technology (Meity) and Global Linkers for the initiative.
1. Campaign Angikaar & E-Course on Vulnerability Atlas Launched
MoS Hardeep S Puri launched Angikaar– a campaign for change management & e-Course on Vulnerability Atlas of India. e-course on Vulnerability Atlas is offered in collaboration of School of Planning & Architecture & Building Materials Tech Promotion Council. Angikaar has been launched for social behavior change.
2. Smriti Irani launches sustainable fashion project
Union Minister Smriti Zubin Irani has launched a project named SU.RE (sustainable resolution) to move towards sustainable fashion that contributes to a clean environment. It involves 16 leading retail fashion brands, reflects the thought of Mahatma Gandhi.
3. Government to launch an e-commerce portal to help SMEs: Nitin Gadkari
The government is planning to launch an e-commerce project called ‘Bharatcraft‘ for micro small & medium enterprises, on the lines of platforms such as Alibaba. The proposed platform could generate a turnover of ₹ 10 trillion over the next few years.
|Meghdoot||Ministries of Earth Sciences and Agriculture|
|Operation Number Plate||Railway Protection Force (RPF)|
|Campaign Angikaar||MoS Hardeep S Puri|
|SU.RE (sustainable resolution)||Smriti Irani|
|Digi Vyapari-Safal Vyapari||Traders body CAIT|
Acquisitions & Mergers
News: Most Important
1. Government to Merge Ten Public Sector Banks Into Four
FM announced following merger- Punjab National Bank, Oriental Bank of Commerce & United Bank together (2nd Largest); Canara
Bank and Syndicate Bank (4th Largest) ; Union Bank will be merged with Andhra Bank and Corporation Bank(5th Largest). Indian Bank will be merged with Allahabad Bank (7th Largest).
2. Axis Bank ex-chief Dharmesh Mehta and investors buy IDFC Securities
Former Axis Bank chief Dharmesh Mehta along with clutch of investors have acquired 100 per cent equity stake of IDFC Securities Ltd from IDFC FHCL. It came after the previous buyer TCG Group and IDFC decided to call off their pact to sell IDFC Securities.
1. Mahindra to acquire 55% stake in Meru cabs
Mahindra & Mahindra is acquiring 55% stake in ride hailing & radio taxi operator Meru Travel Solutions for a cash consideration of up to
₹201.5 crore. M&M will make a primary investment of an amount not exceeding ₹103.5 cr for a stake of up to 55% in Meru.
2. Saudi Aramco to take 20% stake in RIL’s refinery
Saudi oil giant Aramco has agreed to take a 20% stake in his
flagship Reliance Industries’ oil refinery & chemical business at an enterprise value of USD 75 bn (app. Rs 5,32,466 cr). It will supply 5 lac barrels/day or 25 mn tonnes per annum for Jamnagar.
Important Static and Current info-
|Andhra Pradesh||Amaravati||Y. S. Jaganmohan Reddy||Biswa Bhusan Harichandan|
|Arunachal Pradesh||Itanagar||Pema Khandu||Brigadier BD Mishra (retd)|
|Assam||Dispur||Sarabananda Sonowal||Jagdish Mukhi|
|Bihar||Patna||Nitish Kumar||Phagu Chauhan|
|Chhattisgarh||Raipur||Bhupesh Baghel||Anusuiya Uikey|
|Goa||Panaji||Pramod Sawant||Mridula Sinha|
|Gujarat||Gandhi Nagar||Vijaybhai R. Rupani||Acharya Devvrat|
|Haryana||Chandigarh||Manohar Lal Khattar||Satyadev Narayan Arya|
|Himachal Pradesh||Shimla||Jai Ram Thakur||Bandaru Dattatraya|
|Jammu and Kashmir||Srinagar||Government Rule||Satya Pal Malik|
|Jharkhand||Ranchi||Raghuvar Das||Draupadi Murmu|
|Karnataka||Bengaluru||B S Yediyurappa||Vajubhai Rudabhai Vala|
|Kerala||Thiruvanathapuram||Pinarayi Vijayan||Arif Mohammed Khan|
|Madhya Pradesh||Bhopal||Kamal Nath||Lalji Tandon|
|Maharashtra||Mumbai||Devendra Fadnavis||Bhagat Singh Koshyari|
|Manipur||Imphal||N Biren Singh||Padmanabha Balkrishna Acharya (Add. Charge)|
|Meghalaya||Shillong||Conrad Sangma||Tathagata Roy|
|Mizoram||Aizawl||Pu Zoramthanga||Jagdish Mukhi|
|Nagaland||Kohima||Neiphiu Rio||RN Ravi|
|Odisha||Bhubaneshwar||Naveen Patnaik||Ganeshi Lal|
|Punjab||Chandigarh||Amarinder Singh||V P Singh Badnore|
|Rajasthan||Jaipur||Ashok Gehlot||Kalraj Mishra|
|Sikkim||Gangtok||Prem Singh Tamang(PS Golay)||Ganga Prasad|
|Tamil Nadu||Chennai||Edappadi K. Palaniswami||Banwarilal Purohit|
|Telangana||Hyderabad||K. Chandrasekhar Rao||Tamilisai Soundararajan|
|Tripura||Agartala||Biplab Kumar Deb||Ramesh Bais|
|Uttar Pradesh||Lucknow||Yogi Adityanath||Anandiben Patel|
|Uttarakhand||Dehradun||Trivendra Singh Rawat||Baby Rani Maurya|
|West Bengal||Kolkata||Mamata Banerjee||Jagdeep Dhankhar|
Complete List of Union Ministers
|Narendra Modi||Ministry of personnel, public grievances and pensions|
|Rajnath Singh||Ministry of Defence|
|Amit Shah||Ministry of Home Affairs|
|Nitin Gadkari||Ministry of Road Transport and Highways & Ministry of Micro, Small and Medium enterprises|
|DV Sadananda Gowda||Ministry of Chemical and Fertilizers|
|Nirmala Sitharaman||Ministry of Finance & Ministry of Corporate Affairs|
|Ram Vilas Paswan||Ministry of Consumer affairs, food and public distribution|
|Narendra Singh Tomar||Ministry of agriculture and farmers welfare, Ministry of Rural Development & Ministry of Panchayati Raj|
|Ravi Shankar Prasad||Ministry of Law and Justice, Ministry of communications & Ministry of Electronics and
|Harsimrat Kaur Badal||Ministry of Food Processing Industries|
|Thaawar Chand Gehlot||Ministry of Social justice and empowerment|
|Dr Subrahmanyam Jaishankar||Ministry of External Affairs|
|Ramesh Pokhriyal ‘Nishank’||Ministry of Human Resource Development|
|Arjun Munda||Ministry of Tribal Affairs|
|Smriti Zubin Irani||Ministry of Women and child Development & Ministry of Textiles|
|Dr Harsh Vardhan||Ministry of Health and Family Welfare, Ministry of Science and Technology & Ministry of Earth Sciences|
|Prakash Javadekar||Ministry of environment, forest and climate change & Ministry of Information and Broadcasting|
|Piyush Goyal||Ministry of Railways & Ministry of Commerce and Industry|
|Dharmendra Pradhan||Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas & Ministry of Steel|
|Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi||Ministry of Minority Affairs|
|Pralhad Joshi||Ministry of Parliamentary Affairs, Ministry of coal & Ministry of Mines|
|Dr Mahendra Nath Pandey||Ministry of Skill Development and Entrepreneurship|
|Arvind Ganpat Sawant||Ministry of Heavy Industries and Public Enterprise|
|Giriraj Singh||Ministry of Animal Husbandry, dairying and fisheries|
|Gajendra Singh Shekhawat||Ministry of jal Shakti|
DOWNLOAD CURRENT AFFAIRS OF AUGUST 2019
DOWNLOAD CURRENT AFFAIRS OF AUGUST 2019 ONE LINER
AUGUST 2019 CURRENT AFFAIRS