Daily Current Affairs of 28th January 2020
India first underwater metro project to start soon in Kolkata
- Kolkata Metro Rail Corporation will start soon its East-West project which runs partly under the city’s iconic Hooghly river, by March 2022 after a delay of several years doubled costs. The final installment of 200 million rupees – $2.8 million over the next two years from the Indian Railway Board. A loan amount of 41.6 billion rupees from the Japan International Cooperation Agency helps fund 48.5% of the project.
Indian Railways to run 100 percent on electricity by 2024
- Union Minister Shri Piyush Goyal planned to switch Indian Railways entirely to electricity by 2024 as diesel locomotives are steadily being shunted out of service. The Indian railway to run on 100 percent electricity. It will be the first railway network in the world to be run on 100 percent electricity. This railway forum was organized during Brazilian President Jair Bolsonaro. The event addressed by Bolsonaro and several other Indian ministers. The central government minister went onto say that India is planning to make the entire Indian railways a net-zero emission network by 2030. India would love to work together with Brazil on infrastructure development.
India has a market that is looking forward to growing into a $5 trillion economy, full of a young workforce, vibrant and free society with the rule of law, strong judiciary and media, stable government policies, and a business-friendly environment.
PM Narendra Modi will inaugurate 3rd Global Potato Conclave 2020 at Gandhinagar
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the 3rd Global Potato Conclave-2020 at Gandhinagar in Gujarat. The four-day will provide an opportunity to bring all stakeholders at one common platform. Gujarat is one of the leading producers of Potato in the country.
- NetherlandNetherland is the partner country. The four-day mega event will have three major components, which include the Potato Conference, the Agri Expo, and Potato Field Day. It is a unique event to expose different stakeholders of the country to the frontiers of knowledge and innovations in potato research. The 100 foreign delegates of 14 different countries expected to participate in this conference. This conference is organized by the Indian Potato Association (IPA) in collaboration with the Indian Council of Agricultural Research ICAR, Central Potato Research Institute, Shimla, and International Potato Center, Lima. Peru.
West Bengal becomes the fourth state to pass a resolution on CAA in house
- Chief Minister Mamata Banerjee urged the Party of India (Marxist) or CPI (M) and Congress to put aside with Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) government at the Centre. West Bengal became the fourth state to pass an assembly resolution against the Citizenship (Amendment) Act (CAA). The National Population Register (NPR) and the proposed pan-India National Register of Citizens (NRC) and the CAA are related. The amended citizenship law anti-people amid slogans like Didi-Modi are two sides of the same coin by members of the Opposition Congress and the CPI (M). The Congress and the CPI criticism over her meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi on January 11 and added her government had the guts to skip a meeting related to the NPR in Delhi. The Kerala and Congress-ruled Punjab passed similar resolutions on December 31 and January 17. The CAA was given last month to fast-track the citizenship process for non-Muslims who have entered India from Afghanistan, Pakistan, and Bangladesh before 2015, and triggered protests across the country. The resolution demanded that the NRC and NPR process be withdrawn immediately.
Sunil Mehta takes charge as IBA Chief Executive
- Indian Bank Association (IBA) appoints Punjab National Bank’s former MD and CEO Sunil Mehta as its chief executive. Mehta recently retired as the Managing Director and CEO of Punjab National Bank. He has succeeded VG Kannan, who demitted once as chief executive of IBA on December 31, 2019.
- Indian Banks AssociationIndian Banks Association formed on 26 September 1946 as a representative body of management of banking in India operating in India.
- Headquarters: Mumbai
Founded: 26 September 1946
Britain unveils 50 pence coin minted to mark Brexit
- Britain unveils a new 50 pence coin minted to mark the country’s departure from the European Union who bears the inscription Peace, prosperity, and friendship with all nations and the Brexit date of 31 January 2020. The three million of the coins be distributed from banks, post offices, and shops. The finance ministry planned to mint a coin inscribed on 29 March 2019, the original date of Brexit, before Britain asked to extend its EU membership. Javid later ordered production to commemorate a new deadline of Oct. 31. The launch about one million coins to be melted down.
- European UnionIt is a political and economic union of 28 member states that are located primarily in Europe.
Headquarters: Brussels, Belgium
GRSE set to deliver ASW corvette INS Kavaratti to Indian Navy
- Garden Reach Shipbuilders ant (GRSE) set to deliver anti-submarine warfare stealth corvette INS Kavaratti. Kavaratti is the last of the four Anti-Submarine Warfare (ASW) stealth corvettes bu for the Indian Navy under Project P28. The trials of the ship completed and we plan to deliver it by this month. Kavaratti will be the 104th ship to be constructed and provided by the GRSE. The carbon composite superstructure provides the advantage of the lower weight of the warship to increase stability, maneuverability, and faster acceleration. The new technology means that the warship which has 90 percent indigenous components, will also require lower maintenance. The ship equipped to fight in nuclear, chemical, and biological warfare conditions and its weapons and sensors suite is predominantly indigenous.
- Project P28Project P28 – Kamorta delivered to the Navy in July 2014, Kadmatt delivered in November 2015 and Kiltan delivered in October 2017. The four corvettes under the project named after islands in the Lakshadweep. The GRSE currently a strong order book position of around Rs 27,400 crore under which there are a total of 19 warships at various stages of construction under six projects that are underway. The five projects are of the Indian Navy, and one is of the Indian Coast Guard. The Defence PSU delivered five warships to the Indian Navy in the last ten months between March.
Central Government to release report card of smart cities in June
- The central government will release a report card of 100 selected smart cities based on the categories such as ease of living, public performance index, and climate in June as the Smart Cities Mission completes its five years. The Union Housing and Urban Affairs Ministry will help cities in better planning and moving towards data-driven governance that will eventually improve their liveability.
Assam tableau won first prize at 71st Republic Day parade
- Defence Minister Rajnath Singh gave away Best Tableaux awards for Republic Day Parade 2020. The event took place in New Delhi.
- Assam’s TableauAssam’s tableau, which portrayed the unique craftsmanship and culture of the state chosen as the best tableau, followed by Odisha and Uttar Pradesh tied for the second position. The Assam tableau showcased various dance forms of the country, especially the Bhortal dance of Assam.
- Odisha TableauOdisha’s tableau depicted Lord Lingaraja’s Rukuna Rath Yatra, whereas the tableau of Uttar Pradesh showcased the state’s cultural and religious heritage. The tableaux of National Disaster Relief Force and Jal Shakti Mission were chosen as the best among the Ministries and Departments. The Central Public Works Department got the Special Prize for their tableau, which based on the theme – Kashmir se Kanyakumari. The bamboo and cane are integral parts of the Assamese lifestyle; the Assam tableau had prominently displayed the craftsmanship. A variety of products like mats, baskets, sieves, and jaapi were on display on the tableau at the Republic Day parade. The bamboo and cane craftsmanship, the Assam tableau, displayed the unique tradition of handloom in the State.
Union Government targets to install 175 Giga Watt renewable energy by 2022
- The Union Government planned to install 175 Giga Watt renewable energy by 2022 to build a healthy planet with a less carbon-intensive economy.
- Pradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha Evam Utthan MahabhiyanPradhan Mantri Kisan Urja Suraksha Evam Utthan Mahabhiyan, PM-KUSUM scheme government, empowers the farmers to be the producer of energy. The PM-KUSUM scheme covers grid-connected renewable energy power plants, stand-alone solar-powered agricultural pumps, and solarization of existing grid-connected agriculture pumps.
Lala Lajpat Rai Birth Anniversary December 28
- Lala Lajpat Rai – 28 January 1865 to 17 November 1928. The nationalism and zealous patriotism earned him the title Punjab Kesari and Lion of Punjab part of the famous radical trio Lal Bal Pal who advocated the Swadeshi movement in India involving the boycott of all imported goods and the use of Indian made goods. Rai initiated the foundation of Punjab National Bank. In 1897, he founded the Hindu Orphan Relief Movement to keep the Christian missions from securing custody of these children. The 155th birth anniversary of Lala Lajpat Rai upon the struggles faced by him and all that he accomplished in his life.
Supreme Court allows centre to introduce African cheetah to suitable habitat in India
- Supreme Court allowed the Centre to introduce the African cheetah to a suitable habitat in India. The court decision followed a petition filed by the National Tiger Conservation Authority (NTCA) seeking permission for the introduction of the African cheetah from Namibia as rare Indian cheetah is almost extinct in the country.
- Supreme courtThe Supreme court set up a three-member committee comprising former Director Wildlife of India Ranjit Singh, Director General of Wildlife of India Dhananjay Mohan and Deputy Inspector General, Wildlife, Ministry of Environment and Forests to guide the NTCA. Chief Justice S A Bobde and Justices B R Gavai and Surya Kant, the apex court will monitor the project and the committee will submit its report before it every four months.
Jal Jeevan Mission tableau awarded as the best tableau in Republic Day Parade 2020
- Ministry of Jal Shakti – the union government’s new initiative Jal Jeevan Mission.
The Functional Household Tap Connection (FHTC) to every rural household by 2024, has been adjudged the best tableau, jointly with the NDRF tableau.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi attends the National Cadet Corps Rally in Delhi
- Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi attends the National Cadet Corps Rally in Delhi. Prime Minister inspected the Guard of Honour and reviewed the March Past by the various NCC contingents and also from Cadets from other friendly and neighboring countries.NCC cadets also presented before the Prime Minister their capabilities in fields such as adventure sports, music and performance arts. Prime Minister distributed awards for the meritorious NCC cadets. The development efforts of the North East PM highlighted that along with the development of the North East region started negotiations with all stakeholders have been started with a very open mind and an open heart.
Raksha Mantri Shri Rajnath Singh reaffirms India’s firm resolve to tackle cross-border terrorism
- India is fully capable of giving a firm response to cross-border terrorism and strikes against terrorist attacks in 2016 and 2019 have demonstrated the nation’s firm resolve to defeat terrorism.
- South Asian ConferenceThe inaugural session of 12th South Asian Conference at Institute for Defence Studies and Analysis. India was engaged in conversations with its neighbors to develop joint approaches for regional peace and security. The full potential of SAARC has not been realized due to the behavior and policies of a single country and cited how the SAARC motor vehicles agreement stalled at the last Kathmandu session in 2015. The Easter Bomb attacks in April 2019 were the latest instance of how dangerous such a policy has been for the region and beyond. The mutually beneficial and broad-based approach, comprising both the components of development and security, was inclusive and sensitive to the priorities of the neighboring countries.The union government committed about 13.14 billion US dollars in credit-lines and about 4 billion US dollars in assistance in the neighborhood over the last decade. The regional prosperity should not be held hostage to the interests of select states who are obstructing all efforts aimed at regional cooperation. The civil society could influence governments through their proactive efforts adding that the local civil society of South Asia must encourage efforts.
Amit Shah chairs 22nd meeting of Central Zonal Council in Chhattisgarh
- The 22nd meeting of the Central Zonal Council is progressing at Raipur, the state capital of Chhattisgarh. The Central Zonal Council comprises of four states. The issues related to security, law, and order, infrastructure-related matters like roads, transport, water, industries, and power along with various issues between the center and member states and inter-state disputes are discussed. Union Home Minister Amit Shah will also address BJP leaders and intellectuals in a program to be held at state BJP headquarter in Raipur.
- Central Zonal CouncilCentral Zonal Council is a zonal council that comprises the states of Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, and Uttarakhand.The states grouped into six zones having an Advisory Council to foster cooperation among these States. The five zonal Councils were set up vide Part-III of the States Reorganisation Act, 1956.
Taranjit Singh Sandhu appointed as India’s Ambassador to the USA
- Senior diplomat Taranjit Singh Sandhu appointed as India’s Ambassador to the USA the Ministry of External Affairs.
- Taranjit Singh SandhuSandhu, a 1988-batch Indian Foreign Service officer, is currently posted as High Commissioner of India in Sri Lanka. He replaces Harsh Vardhan Shringla as India’s envoy in Washington. Shringla named as India’s next foreign secretary.
Qatar names Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdelaziz Al Thani new Prime Minister
- Qatar appointed a new Prime Minister replacing Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani. The Sheikh Khalid bin Khalifa bin Abdelaziz Al Thani named as the new Prime Minister. Prime Minister has submitted his resignation. The state-run Qatar News Agency reported that no reason for the change had specified.
Union Government puts in place measures to protect commercial decision-making by banks
- Public sector banks to set up a committee of senior officers for monitoring the progress of pending disciplinary and internal vigilance cases. Every bank must set up a committee of senior officers to review pending disciplinary and civil vigilance cases and frame timelines to reduce delays in deciding such matters. The union government modified its 2015 framework on large-value frauds doing away with the personal responsibility of Managing Directors and Chief Executive Officers of public sector banks for compliance with various prescribed timelines.
- Department of Financial Services (DES)
The Indian Powers delegated by the Department of Financial Services (DES) to the boards of public sector lenders to put in place a suitable mechanism for ensuring compliance of the various timelines laid down in Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and Central Vigilance Commission (CVC) circulars. The instructions of DFS of 201 5 regarding the compulsory examination of fraud for all non-performing asset (NPA) accounts exceeding Rs 50 crore have been aligned with the CVC circular of January 15 where all such cases of suspected fraud to be initially referred to the Advisory Board.